Wright & Mcgill's Eagle Claw 508HD

Started by mo65, July 01, 2016, 03:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Here's one ya don't see every day. It's a very well built reel, made from quality components. Most interesting is the amount of stainless steel used on it. The handle arm, drag star, rings, and stand are all stainless! The spool/ring gap is so tight I can barely shove a piece of paper in there. Haven't looked on the inside yet...but my guess is everything inside is tip-top...when you spin the handle it sure feels smooth. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Looks like a real clean old reel, Mo...

Sort of a cross between an old green Heddon and a Penn.

Thanks for showing us!

You think maybe from the 60's?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on July 01, 2016, 05:02:10 PM
Looks like a real clean old reel, Mo...Sort of a cross between an old green Heddon and a Penn.

Good eye Fred! From what I've been able to gather...60's Heddons(like the Heritage models) were outsourced to Japan or Sweden. The "made in Japan" stamped into the stand on this one tells me where it came from but not who made it. It was definitely the same folks who made the Heddon in this link. Scroll the pics...only difference seems to be the color.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heddon-Trolling-Reel-Model-No-499A-Fishing-Casting-/172248369205?hash=item281acd8835:g:g2QAAOSwubRXEoEL

foakes

Going through some boxes of old reels today -- this was down near the bottom of this box.

Here is a green Heddon 450 in Squidder or Surfmaster size and width -- Made in Japan with a serial number on the stand reading 4318.

Is yours a 109 or a 209 size, Mo?

Japanese copy-cat companies did a decent job on a lot of their manufacturing in the 60's -- problem, of course, is that few of them lasted more than a few years -- parts were slightly inferior in some cases -- and not enough spare parts around.

I have a new parts box of these Heddon reels -- mostly spools, spinner parts, and conventional spools.

Do not think I have ever used any of the parts.

When these reels break -- parts are non existent -- so they just get tossed away -- and the guy goes down to Big 5 to buy the Penn he was a little too tight to buy in the first place.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on July 01, 2016, 06:08:47 PM
Is yours a 109 or a 209 size, Mo?

My reel is wider than a 209...actual dimensions are a dead ringer for a Jigmaster 500...with the addition of the levelwind. The serial number on the stand is 4J25.

mizmo67

*whistles*

It's in pristine shape! Love it.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

mo65

Quote from: mizmo67 on July 01, 2016, 07:50:05 PM
*whistles*

It's in pristine shape! Love it.

Thanks mizmo! I'd also like to thank you for the fast service and shipping on my orders from Scott's. :)