Problem With Penn International 975CS

Started by KarpsnKatz, May 06, 2024, 11:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim mcnamara, Cortez_Conversions, jzumi and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KarpsnKatz

I'm having a problem with an International 975CS. The problem is that the spool has started to slip occasionally when reeling under tension, as well as the handle not disengaging on a cast. This allows the handle to spin during the cast. It also has begun to over run when I spin the handle and suddenly stop it. However, I understand that this is not uncommon with the Internationals. But I'd like it to stop. A little history on the reel: It was an auction site purchase, and admittedly I was pretty much duped, as the reel was cosmetically OK, but a bit of a train wreck mechanically. There were parts that were missing, as well as parts that didn't belong, as well as being generally dirty. I got a hold of the schematic, and all the foreign parts were tossed(these were mainly weird washers on top of the drag stack), and any missing parts were replaced. The only worn parts seemed to be the trip ratchet and drag washers. After a complete breakdown and cleaning, the reel seemed to functioning as it should, until gradually the problem with the spool slipping, and the handle not disengaging crept in. I have taken it apart, and compared it with the schematic several times, and am 100% confident that all the parts are correct and in their proper place. I have disassembled and reassembled with a lot of grease, and have also done so with little grease, and have the same result. The only thing I have noticed was a little flat spot on the little nub on the shift arm. Not sure if that would cause this. So, I'm just wondering if anyone can offer any advice as to what's going wrong here, or clue me in to something I may be overlooking? Or would I be better off sending it to Penn for a complete overhaul? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I'd hate to give up on this one, as when it works properly, it's a cannon of a caster.

Brewcrafter

Hmmm, it sounds like when you depress the free spool button that the pinion is not fully disengaged from the spool.  If you pop the sideplate off with the two knurled thumbscrews and cycle the reel through the sequence several times, can you see the pinion fully pulling back into the plate?  Also if the handle is spinning backwards at any time, that is a sign of something amiss with the AR clutch bearing (and those can be finicky with too little lube/too much lube/contamination with corrosion/it's the wrong moon phase...   ;D
You're right, it's a bomber of casting reel especially considering when it was produced.  Love mine.  With the condition you describe it being in when you got it; that can make things tough.  Don't give up on it yet! - john

KarpsnKatz

Thanks for the reply. I will definately check the pinion as you have described, and report back. The problem with the handle isn't with spinning backwards, but rather forwards on a cast, kind of like on old knuckle buster. If the pinion isn't functioning properly, what could be causing that? Sounds like it could be a problem with the jack, perhaps? The more I think about it, I remember I did replace the springs as well, and possibly the pinion. I will have to look through my parts box and see if I have a used pinion gear floating around in there. I pretty much refuse to give up on it. At the end of the day it really is a nice reel, and does have a smoothness that my other Internationals can't quite compare to.