Here's my new Penn 750 ss

I like them when they are dirty, you pay a lot less, this one as potential

Looks like it was never open or clean

Dirty but no millage

No millage the main gear/pinion have no wear really

Nice main gear after a little cleanup

Parts that wont go back in

Most of the parts cleaned

Painted, this time I went for paint that was cured for two weeks out in the sun, wanted to compare powder coating to paint that was cured properly. I put the bearing cover on so I wouldn't touch the paint

Almost ready to put back together

By this time the paint was cured

The shine on the paint is great and feels hard, took the shield off the cleaned  bearing and packed with Yam grease

Getting there

Replaced the original drag to Bryan's kit so much better. Deleted the pic of the washer by mistake  ::)

Modded the handle a bit

I love those reels
Paint when cured is pretty tough, I let it sit in the sun all day for two weeks, 10 min in the oven at 250 to start

In a while I'll compare powder coating vs paint and I'm not sure who the winner will be because there are some paint out there that are pretty tough

Marc..

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Yogi_fish808

Love the SS spinners. An average person see's a beat up dirty reel....really without too much effort and usually hardly any new parts they clean up great! See if you can find a sealed drag knob for yours, the current one tends to crack.

Aloha,
Kyle

BMITCH

Great thread!!! I'm sure for many here. Paint and time to cure is something we all have access to easily. I'm really intrest on proper cureing how this will hold up. If it does well, I've got a couple reels that are at that stage. Please keep us posted.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Marcq

Thanks guys!
I was thinking a while ago cleaning my truck and thinking after all the abuse it took, the paint looked pretty good for its age and thinking that we should be able to achieve to same king of toughness on DIY painted stuff.
One thing for sure, powder coating is fast, the part is ready to install out of the oven, paint well.....

Will see

Marc..

Shark Hunter

Good work Marc,
It looks great.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

That looks great Marc, nice job!
What did you use to plug the holes?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Fantastic job. I have a few I need to paint. They show their age outside but inside they are like new. Maybe thats good.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Marcq

Thanks again guys  8)

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 20, 2016, 06:14:14 AM
That looks great Marc, nice job!
What did you use to plug the holes?

Sal

Epoxy putty stick, filled the hole flat and then pushed a bit  from the inside to have that dome shape

Marc..

Marcq

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on March 20, 2016, 02:35:51 AM
See if you can find a sealed drag knob for yours, the current one tends to crack.

Aloha,
Kyle
Yup that's the plan

Thanks. Marc..

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

STRIPER LOU

Very nice job Marcq!!!
.....Lou

basto

Hi Marcq
I see you docked the bail trip arm. I did that with a 6500 because it kept tripping prematurely. Fixed that problem. Even with it, I still always close the bail with my hand.
Great paint job. The powder coating on the drag star wheel on my Torque 200 flaked off, so I stripped it all off and shined it up. It`s stainless.
Well done
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Marcq

Thanks!!

Quote from: basto on March 21, 2016, 04:11:14 AM
Hi Marcq
I see you docked the bail trip arm. I did that with a 6500 because it kept tripping prematurely. Fixed that problem. Even with it, I still always close the bail with my hand.
Great paint job. The powder coating on the drag star wheel on my Torque 200 flaked off, so I stripped it all off and shined it up. It`s stainless.
Well done
Basto
Yeah I like to close the bail by hand, my left hand is there anyway when I cast or free lining and hate the loud clunk it makes on contact to the trip arm

But my favorite coating is no coating, just wax
Thanks, Marc..