Okuma Komodo 364: Service Tutorial and Maintenance Tips

Started by johndtuttle, March 21, 2016, 08:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: steelfish on June 06, 2017, 05:03:31 PM
John

I recently sold my lexa 300 hsp (1st gen) to get me a different lowprofile baitcasting reel.

debating between this one on the 364 size or the new tranx 300, can you give me your opinion comparing this both reels?

-- I was actually thinking on getting the 471 komodo or tranx 400 but sometimes I want to use something light to cast light lures to cabrillas (bass on steroids) and the normal lures to cast are on the 1/2oz to 1oz weight.

for a baitcasting reel on 400 size I still happy with my calcutta 400TE, maybe old school by now but works wonders on the rocky zones in Gonzaga bay (north sea of cortez)

I think for your fishing a Komodo SS is a better choice or a Lexa HD...both all stainless gearing on the inside.

The Brass gearing of the Shimano will not hold up as well. Not yet convinced the sealing in the areas the new Tranx is sealed are all good choices....certainly sealing the AR bearing is good....but trying to seal the spool....not convinced its better...the x-ship bearing is going to still get wet and now, not drain as well....

steelfish

thanks John, that helped a lot.

I was 90% set my mind on the okuma 364 but helped with the other 10%

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: Wolli on December 20, 2016, 09:45:05 AM
for increased drag replace the fibrous Washer (70) with larger OD from carbon.

excellent tip, I will put a note to myself to get one this size on my next scott's tackle order or smoothdrag order and swith it on my reel.

8*22*1

I got a terrific deal on one of the original Komodo 364 models and I couldnt resisted, its a lefty, so time for put my right brain hemisphere to work.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

just bought a spare handle to install a makaira small T-bar knob on it, I saw that mod on another place and wanted to try it, it looks killer, good thing is if my chance I dont like it I still have my stock power handle and can use the T-bar knob somewhere else.

The Baja Guy

handi2

If the reel in this tutorial were mine the first thing I would do is make Carbontex washers that fit the main gear fully. Especially the last one up top. Having them fit the main shaft would be much better.

K
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: handi2 on January 27, 2018, 12:21:44 AM
If the reel in this tutorial were mine the first thing I would do is make Carbontex washers that fit the main gear fully. Especially the last one up top. Having them fit the main shaft would be much better.

K

but you have to find another metal washer, look the 2nd metal washer, its also "narrow" on width, it wont put pressure on a drag washer with more meat.

The Baja Guy

handi2

I gotcha.

I would still do it so the last carbon washer would stay put.

I bought one in December and haven't opened it up. Its a smaller KDR-273VLX. Left hand model. I cant work a rod with my left hand. I tried it. Grew up using spinning reels.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Keta

Quote from: steelfish on January 27, 2018, 12:41:05 AMbut you have to find another metal washer, look the 2nd metal washer, its also "narrow" on width, it wont put pressure on a drag washer with more meat.

I might know someone that can make full OD metal washers  ;D.  I will soon have a KDS-463LX to measure and will see if Okuma will supply me with a washer for KDS-364.  Dawn should have CF washers that can be re-formed.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on January 27, 2018, 01:46:55 AM
Quote from: steelfish on January 27, 2018, 12:41:05 AMbut you have to find another metal washer, look the 2nd metal washer, its also "narrow" on width, it wont put pressure on a drag washer with more meat.

I might know someone that can make full OD metal washers  ;D.  I will soon have a KDS-463LX to measure and will see if Okuma will supply me with a washer for KDS-364.  Dawn should have CF washers that can be re-formed.

I might know the same person  ;D

But yours is KDS-463 which is bigger than KDS-364, so.. I might send you the measures of the metal washers for the 350 size
The Baja Guy

Keta

On Monday I will order 1 each 5K325401, 5K325601, 5K238501 and 5K238401 metal drag washers for both the KDS-463 and KDS-364 reels.  Send me the OD of the keyed washer and the shaft diameter.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jurelometer

Now I am confused.  Are you going to increase the OD of some/all  of the metal drag washers,  decrease the ID of  the fiber washers, or both?

BTW,  I recently picked up a new Komodo 463.    The star was floppy from being cross theaded with aluminum shavings all over the shaft, and the machining on the handle was off, leaving lips from the chamfer that were razor sharp.   I had some trouble finding  a live USA support number for Okuma.   Eventually found it on alantani.com :)

But once I called Okuma, I was quickly  connected to a knowledgable support person.   They immediately offered to exchange the reel, but I just wanted a replacement star and handle.     New parts in my mailbox three days later.

Still ambivalent about the size/weight and ergonomics on this reel.

I personally would be a bit nervous about putting an under gear drag washer on this reel. The clearance for  the leaf of the silent dog needs to be maintained.  I want a stiff thrust washer with  the correct  thickness that is not going to compress or shred over time, as has happened with CF undergear washers on some other reels. Maintaining reliability and getting proper thrust bearing behavior is more important than another pound or two of drag for me.

handi2

Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on January 27, 2018, 03:19:27 AM
On Monday I will order 1 each 5K325401, 5K325601, 5K238501 and 5K238401 metal drag washers for both the KDS-463 and KDS-364 reels.  Send me the OD of the keyed washer and the shaft diameter.

Lee, this are the OD and ID measures of the metal washers

thickness:  0.71mm or  1/32 "
OD :  33.86mm or 1.3 33"

my bad, I took the readings of the main gear ID instead of the square ID of the keyed washer.

on mm and inches, make your pick
The Baja Guy

steelfish

The Baja Guy

handi2

I finally got into the small Komodo I have and sure enough the top carbon washer had a lip on the outside edge where it was sticking further out than the main gear and top metal washer. I punched a full size carbon washer that fits the main shaft. This will keep it in place.
Gulf Breeze, FL