Penn fathom 25n paired with???

Started by Dee84cali, April 13, 2016, 08:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee84cali

Just bought my 2 speed 25n and need some advice on what rod to pair with,specifically for jigging of a kayak..

johndtuttle

Quote from: Dee84cali on April 13, 2016, 08:24:53 PM
Just bought my 2 speed 25n and need some advice on what rod to pair with,specifically for jigging of a kayak..

Target species and what kind of jigs?

Dee84cali

Well the jigs I was using is a daiwa sacrifice slow knuckle for bottom fishing (rockfish) but I also have a flat falls.. I pretty much want a set up that can handle YT.. Not gonna be trolling with this set up just strictly iron jigging.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Dee84cali on April 13, 2016, 11:05:10 PM
Well the jigs I was using is a daiwa sacrifice slow knuckle for bottom fishing (rockfish) but I also have a flat falls.. I pretty much want a set up that can handle YT.. Not gonna be trolling with this set up just strictly iron jigging.

Hmm...rockfishing can be shallow water or deep...for deep I like a pretty standard stick that you can set on the rail and winch them up as they are pretty much dead weight :). Like a Calstar 700M 20-50. Great live bait stick for 30-40# too. For shallow then a lighter 700L is nice.

But for slow fall or vertical jigging then a real slow pitch rod like a Shimano Trevala S or Black Hole Slow Pitch rod would be really nice. For slow pitch jigs (ie flat fall) a little extra length is nice like 6' 3". For straight vertical jigging a 5'6" BH Cape Cod Special 250gm is a very powerful stick.

The true jigging rods are a little more work to bring up rock fish from deep (not as easy to rail) but are amazing on Tuna or Yellows.

best

Dee84cali

Just checked out the rods u recommended and man they are expensive! The shimano trevala is doable. So if u had 200 for a True jigging rod u would go with the shimano?

johndtuttle

Quote from: Dee84cali on April 14, 2016, 12:09:43 AM
Just checked out the rods u recommended and man they are expensive! The shimano trevala is doable. So if u had 200 for a True jigging rod u would go with the shimano?

Oh, my bad. Didn't know what your budget is...those Calstar grafighters are west coast standards that will out live you probably  ;D.

If I wanted inexpensive and reliable I would just get an Ugly Stick Tiger. A 15-40 or 20-50 will be unbreakable and you will have it for years. Penn makes some good 7' rods with the same ratings and they can be found for less too. Look up the Carnage series.

For rockfish the Trevala is going to catch for sure, but is too short to rail. The Trevala S are decent slow pitch rods.

luckybass

I have a Penn Fathom 25n on a Penn Torque jigging series rod rated 30-80lb braid 2-6oz
You are entitled to nothing.
Want it?
Earn it.

DaBigOno

Quote from: johndtuttle on April 15, 2016, 06:11:30 PM
Oh, my bad. Didn't know what your budget is...those Calstar grafighters are west coast standards that will out live you probably  ;D.

You're right about that! I have a few Calstars that i purchased when i was still young.  Now that Im old, these rods look in better shape than I do.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

MarkT

If I wanted inexpensive and reliable I would just get an Ugly Stick Tiger. A 15-40 or 20-50 will be unbreakable and you will have it for years. Penn makes some good 7' rods with the same ratings and they can be found for less too. Look up the Carnage series.

For rockfish the Trevala is going to catch for sure, but is too short to rail. The Trevala S are decent slow pitch rods.

John, he's on a kayak... they don't have rails!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

johndtuttle

Quote from: MarkT on April 26, 2016, 12:44:06 AM

John, he's on a kayak... they don't have rails!

You are absolutely right, my bad!  :(

Trevala S will be great!  ;)

SoCalAngler

I know this a older thread but for a yak I'd look for a 6' rod. A 7 footer would be fine for rockfish but when you start to fish the yt and want to land a nice fish a 7 foot rod could be a problem when trying to bring the fish close enough to the boat for the gaff, unless you have done something like this before and know how to do it.

I think of the 25N II as a 40 to 50 lb reel when spectra backed and would be great matched to a Calstar 610 or 660 for 6' rods for 40lb but this setup may be a bit much for rockfish. These rods are priced well below $200 and should last you. Trying to break 40 lb at depth in a yak when snagged, which will happen from time to time when fishing bottom structure, would not be fun. So you may want to go lighter on your topshots for the rockfish, something like 20 or 25 lb test maybe 30. When you start to fish the iron for the yellows then bump the topper to 40 lb and hope your jig does not snag the bottom.