Quickest Way to Get Banned from Alan Tani Site! -- Talking Old Vintage Spinners

Started by foakes, March 28, 2016, 02:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglingarchitect

foakes

Do not think so, Mark --

Unless I run across one or two at the bottom of an old crate -- who knows?

Have some RU-MER, Centaures, and about 10 years ago sold all of my organized Luxor parts in pull out trays to a fellow in either Belgium or France -- along with a whole bunch of Alcedo parts also.

I used those so rarely -- it was not worth hanging onto them.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

Fred,

You are going where no one has gone before. I feel you are going to open a new world here!

I am familiar with Ben Wright, am staring at one of his books as I type, he is the source for spinning reels. There will be a chapter in my Ocean City book about OC spinners, they have some very interesting history, especially the 300 series.

I think this post should be made permanent, no telling how many pages this could turn into. It may eventually need a Index.................... ::)   

foakes

I just enjoy the history of old spinners, Mike.

Most of the sites have largely ignored spinners because they were an easy way to fish, or maybe not as rare as the old bait-casters, or not as elite or rare perhaps.  Many folks still look down on spinners.

But that has changed drastically over the years --

With the average age group of our site -- most everyone grew up with -- or enjoys spinners -- even Alan.

Generally, spinners are plentiful and affordable.

We might talk about a special section for spinners, but not sure how much effort it might entail -- and we must be careful in trying to be everything to everybody.

There are probably a dozen or so individuals that I would consider experts among experts --

You, Ray, and Ben are the first 3.

You fellows have been a tremendous asset to the AT site -- as well as fostering a whole new generation of folks interested in the old Penns.

Good stuff, and educational.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

Thanks Fred. I do not think we need a special section for spinners that requires a large amount of time to create. I think we just need to have a place for the threads to go. One section and the progress will happen on its own. Being that we are Pennheads around here, a natural flow would be the Penn spinning reels. Penn is a pioneer in American Surf and Saltwater Light Spinning reels.

There are some groups on Facebook that are almost pure Penn Spinning reels topics with an emphasis on modifications.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1595062044093655/

The interest in spinning tackle is very high and if we lean to vintage reels, we can even just let the topic happen in the Fishing Antiques and Collectibles Section.

This website is already versatile, letting spinning reels become a topic will only grow the scope of the site. IMHO

foakes

That sounds like a good way to start off, Mike --

If we started off with the Penns --

Then just have a topic for each brand as they come up --

Nothing too complicated -- just interesting stuff.

I will talk to the Boss when he returns from Up North --

Then we will gauge the interest among our members, depending on what Alan and the other Mods think.

Might be something to pursue --

For sure, if this was something that would fly -- we should contact Ben to get him to join and contribute as he may deem appropriate. 

We do not want to go too far off the reservation -- but I believe this is a good idea of yours, Mike.

After we talk a little more -- we can plan a strategy to start things off -- if so approved.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

46 reels & 10 old hunting licenses --

Got about 80 or 90 crates like this -- not sure what is in them.

Got a tremendous amount of things going on right now -- but am going to try and pull a crate every few days or so -- just to go through them in the evening when things quiet down.

Might find a few interesting items.

To me, kind of a sad thing -- found an old cloth tobacco sack with 10 California hunting licenses from one fellow that all date to a period from the mid 20's to early 30's.  These are mostly the old metal pin ons.  If these could talk...

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Penn Chronology

nelz

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 08, 2016, 05:49:19 AM
Thanks Fred. I do not think we need a special section for spinners that requires a large amount of time to create.

We already have a section for spinners here... or did I miss something?

http://alantani.com/index.php?board=32.0

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks Fred. I do not think we need a special section for spinners that requires a large amount of time to create.

We already have a section for spinners here... or did I miss something?

You did not miss anything, I did.............. ??? ??? ???

foakes

Right, Guys --

Like I was alluding to before (not very well, because this was early stages, obviously) -- all I would envision at this point would be not a separate section -- but just a thread where a member could ask questions about the history of a particular spinner.

This could be a comment, a question, an answer, an observation, or?

We cannot be all things to all people -- and should not try -- we would dilute the purpose of the Alan Tani site -- which is to promote and educate folks how to service and repair their own reels through other's knowledge and tutorials.

There are plenty of other sites that specialize in one reel or another.  And their depth is very extensive.  As examples -- ABU, Mitchell, Penn, Johnson, etc..

This would be more like a walk down Nostalgia Lane -- posting pics of old spinning reels -- and discussing their evolution and features over the years.

Just a small, simple thread within the current Spinner Section.

We all have an old favorite spinner we have used, or still use.  Might be interesting to share with a pic and a story.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Was looking for an old Mitchell handle for a friend today -- pulled out a crate of old Mitchell half bails, around (50) 304, 304S, 305, 314, 315, couple of the really old CAPs with half bails, round bodies, knurled crank knobs, and pillar post spools, some 300 size half bails, a couple of old French Centaures, another old Ocean City 300 spinner, and something I have never seen before -- an Ocean City Closed Face Push Button Spinner -- 377 Flipline from probably late 50's -- works flawlessly even after 57 or 58 years, most likely guess.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

handi2

I wish I had never sold my collection of Mitchell and Penn reels. I had so many I couldn't keep up with them. Many new in the plastic tackle box with lures, hooks, and a spare spool. All factory from Mitchell. I have some old magazines that show these products.

Fred I'm going to send you something you will be happy to use with your fresh water fishing. It's cool!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL