Drag help for DUEL 80 LIGHT circa 1997

Started by Mark Gunning, March 16, 2016, 06:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Looks good to me in the photos you provided.  Once you are sure sll bearings are good, and there are no burrs on any of the moving parts, and that there are no hogh spots, in the drag washers, and no warping of tye netal drag washers..

I would reassemble the spool and drag components, install it on the headplate, and use the tailplate bearing to apply pressure, and test the drag function.  Also test to see if the spool, and shaft are warped at all.  Basically test the subassemblies, until you can determine where the problem is.

This part is sometimes easier if you have te shaft in hand, but you can do it against the headplate too. 

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Robert Janssen

Wow, you guys have been very busy while i was asleep.

Well, it seems that you both have considered many if not all possibilities; i don't have anything to add other than that i recall hearing of similar problems as early as twenty years ago, as found in old communiques with Duel from that time, but that is irrelevant since there was no solution given there either.

Stick with it, Mark. You are obviously a competent guy. You'll figure it out. Like John was indicating, the process of elimination may be tedious but effective.

Mark Gunning

Robert I'm concerned the elim process may take weeks as I wait for parts to arrive from Italy, only to find that wasn't the problem.
Maybe I could source bearings local, for instance left side plate bearing is a 61900HZ. surely my local bearing supplier would have them? ditto rest of bearings.

Im using these reels at least once a week. BM run ends very soon.

Besides the drag part of the reel, they seem to have an extreme high level of precise engineering and finish. silky smooth to use and very pretty.

Was pulling some line off a couple of hrs ago, seemed smother and the roughness when cranking had gone. seems to change each time I pull it apart.

Before I go much further im gonna test it as is, similar to the car method.
in Botany bay Ill thro a bucket overboard or maybe a small drogue, let it pull some line off at maybe 5 to 10 knts.

I used to do same to wake the crew up. Ive seen the angler fight the bucket all the way to the boat before he wakes up to whats goin on.   ;D

PS, just gooled that bearing #, zero results.

Tightlines667

You should be able to source bearings here, just get measurements and check boca, or find a match to another reel model (we have a partial list here on the forum ).
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tiddlerbasher

619 are usually bearings of a standard metric size (also known as 696) 6x15x5mm. Boca and most bearing companies will stock them.
Being an Italian reel (ie European) it is likely all the bearings are metric not imperial.

Mark Gunning

Yes definitely metric. 619 also known as 696, good to know.

Don't know Boca, it s a USA bearing company?

Can source bearings from this website, good to know.

Ill pull one reel all way down and get a list of all bearing numbers, ill check local suppliers first (CBC Bearings AU).

11pm goodnight.

Mark.