Questions about my first Penn reels - 113H, 140L, 146L

Started by elgoog, January 11, 2013, 08:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elgoog

Hi all -

I just landed some Penn reels I was looking for from an estate sale for a song. I got a 113H, 140L and 146L and they are all in near-mint to mint condition (cosmetically anyway). I just got them yesterday and spent the evening playing with my new toys and making sure things were working as they were supposed to be. I'm going to open them all up and try to service them myself based on the excellent tutorials and help from this site (before I take them out fishing). I've never owned reels like this, just used a 113H2 a few times when I rented tackle on a party boat.

I have some observations/questions based on the few hours hands-on I had last night with them. Bear with me if this gets too long and verbose.
- Is there a particular time/condition when the drag washers should be replaced? Based on the external cosmetic condition of the reels, it seems like they should be good, just might need some grease. Do you recommend that I put in new HT-100 washers regardless, considering their age and the fact that they were unused for at least 10 years?
- From some poking around I've done, it seems like there's no significant performance/quality difference between HT-100/carbontex/smoothdrag washers. Is that mostly accurate?
- Is there any preference as far as quality, longevity and performance between the bearings available on mysticparts.com, the Boca bearings used by AlanT and the ones offered by Dawn? I'm pretty sure the ones in my reels will be significantly gummed up - hopefully, I'm able to clean and reuse them but am open to getting new bearings.
- I don't plan on using really high drag settings so is it recommended to swap out the brass (??) main gear with something else (if at all an option exists)? I've read that with incorrect high drag you can damage the main gear. A replacement would be more of a precaution against damage than anything else. I'm planning on using 10lb drag with 30-40lb line on the 113H and 6lb drag with 20-25lb line on the Squidders.
- Definitely getting new handles for all 3. #24-56 for the 140L and 146L and thinking of #24-349H for the 113H (the current handle on the 113H is one of the curved ones but looks abnormally short and a few test retrieves tell me it needs to go). I saw some ergonomic handles eg. #24N-50T - are those similar to the Kolekar upgrades by AlanT?
- There's a clicking sound when I retrieve line on the 113H, with the clicker off. It sounds a lot like the actual clicker but not as loud and has a bit of a whirring characteristic to it. Is that normal? The freespool action is silent. The line retrieve on the party boat's 113H2 was almost completely silent and I thought the 113H would be the same.
- Got a bit of a scare on the Senator when I couldn't adjust the drag at all. The star felt like it was welded on to the handle with the drag set to the max. When I took of the handle and star, I found 2 washers on the gear sleeve which were filling up the "empty" space on the sleeve, keeping everything super tight and pushing the drag stack in to the max. Do those washers have an actual purpose (other than scare the bajeesus out of me) or did the previous owner make a mistake (other than not using these gorgeous reels)?
- The drag on the 140L is non-existent. Even with the star tightened all the way in, I get freespool action only. This one is getting opened up first. Any initial ideas what might be causing this? I think the drag stack is fused together so tight that it doesn't make contact with anything around it.
- Here's my initial reel service kit, currently for personal use only. Not including the parts I will need for specific repairs, is there anything else I should keep on hand for normal maintenance? Do you think I should keep spare drag washers or bearings handy for my current 3 reels?
1. Yamaha blue marine grease (3oz) and a small grease gun (not sure if the grease gun is completely necessary just yet - thoughts?)
2. Cal's drag grease (1oz)
3. ReelX tube (1oz)
4. Extra dog springs. 14C-140 for the Squidders and 14-99 (??) for the 113H - is that the right one?
5. AlanT's wrench, 168-TANI and/or Dawn's 8-in-1
5. Dental picks
6. Assorted brushes, rags, gloves, etc
7. Assorted screwdrivers, allen keys, wrenches, etc
8. Dremel tool, drill, etc

Thanks in advance. I'm really looking forward to getting to work on these lovelies :)

- elgoog

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Keta

Is there a particular time/condition when the drag washers should be replaced?
I inspect the washer when I service the reel and replace as needed, greased CF washers do not break down quickly.

Do you recommend that I put in new HT-100 washers regardless, considering their age and the fact that they were unused for at
            least 10 years?

When I get a reel I replace the washers so I know when they were new.

From some poking around I've done, it seems like there's no significant performance/quality difference between HT-
            100/carbontex/smoothdrag washers. Is that mostly accurate?

They are close, I prefer the tighter Carbontex but HT-100 is good.

Is there any preference as far as quality, longevity and performance between the bearings available on mysticparts.com, the Boca      
           bearings used by AlanT and the ones offered by Dawn? I'm pretty sure the ones in my reels will be significantly gummed up -  
           hopefully, I'm able to clean and reuse them but am open to getting new bearings.

I seldom have to replace bearings because I service my reels too often, someone else will be able to help you here.

I don't plan on using really high drag settings so is it recommended to swap out the brass (??) main gear with something else (if at
           all an option exists)?

I like the older steel gears but if you keep to the drag numbers you listed the brass main gear will be good.

There's a clicking sound when I retrieve line on the 113H, with the clicker off. It sounds a lot like the actual clicker but not
            as loud and has a bit of a whirring characteristic to it. Is that normal?

Yup.

Do those washers have an actual purpose

Wavy or Belleville spring washers should be either under the star or on top of the last keyed washer in the drag stack.  I like to set up my personal reels so there is a tiny bit of pressure on the stack, factory speck is looser.

The drag on the 140L is non-existent. Even with the star tightened all the way in, I get freespool action only. This one
           is getting opened up first. Any initial ideas what might be causing this? I think the drag stack is fused together so tight
           that it doesn't make contact with anything around it.

The most common cause of this is the last eared washer has come out of the gear and is on the top of the gear. A fuzed drag stack acts close to direct drive, no turning of the gear on the gear sleeve.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bluefish69

Be careful of the Dog Spring in the 140. My 2 Cats can't find the 2 that I lost. If you need 1 order 3 for safety.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

elgoog

Keta - Thanks a lot for your feedback. I was considering replacing the washers for exactly the reason you mentioned, definitely going to do that now. I'll check the last eared washer - is it common for it to pop out like that?

bluefish69 - Hehe, that's the impression I got after reading a lot of the posts. I'll be getting a few extras.

Keta

Quote from: elgoog on January 12, 2013, 01:26:46 AM
- is it common for it to pop out like that?

It occasionally happens when assembling the reel.  One of these days I'll find spring "Never Never Land" and I'll be rich.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

barkley1956

Quote from: bluefish69 on January 12, 2013, 12:34:42 AM
Be careful of the Dog Spring in the 140. My 2 Cats can't find the 2 that I lost. If you need 1 order 3 for safety.

I need a dog spring for a 145, same spring 14C-140. Can you point me towards one please? Scott's is out of them and he suggest a different spring and to cut it. I just picked one up from a local dealer and it is too big to fit in the hole.

Thanks!