Drag arm movement not smooth from "strike" to "full"

Started by the rockfish ninja, June 03, 2016, 12:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

This is my midyear maintenance for my two SX reels, and after doing my usual cleanup and re-lube I noticed that my older SX sticks a little between "strike" and "full". I've had it for approximately 5 years, while my newer one I've had for two years, and side-by-side adjusting the drag arm I can definitely feel the difference. It still functions but I definitely have to push the arm harder to go into full drag, which I do a lot of because Of the species I target and the technique I have to use.

I took it apart a second time and and lubed the cam very well but it still sticks significantly more then my newer model, does the cam wear out? Have any of you experienced this with older Avet sx models?

Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Alto Mare

Just taking a guess, the Belleville washers might be a little stiffer on the older reel. Check if they are placed in the same way on both reels... same layout.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SoCalAngler

To me it sounds like your drag is to tight. Check your drag pressure at strike and if your over about 10-11 lbs you have the drag too tight. Avets ramp up pretty quickly from just past strike to barely into full.

Normally with Avet reels if the belleville washers are out of order freespool becomes an issue

David Hall

And if you place to much pre set and push the lever beyond strike to max your going to crush the right side bearing,  speaking from personal experience here.