99 Silver Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 01:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoked4fishin

Thanks!  Here's a picture of the handle.

mo65

I believe that handle came along in '39. The reel was only made until '42. That's as close I can get...but I bet Mike(penn chronology) can get closer.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

stoked4fishin

Thanks!
I'm checking the Penn Chronology book as well (blue version) to see what I can determine.

Maxed Out

Been hiding this 99. Just got it out to dust it off today and put it back away till next time I'm babysitting on a rainy day  :D  :D

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

This one has no fishing scene on the tail plate
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

thorhammer

mo65

Wow...a bare tail plate...that's a new one on me. Nice gem Ted. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

That is a beauty   Like to find the hat you keep pulling these rabbits outa
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Penn Chronology

QuoteBeen hiding this 99. Just got it out to dust it off today and put it back away till next time I'm babysitting on a rainy day  Cheesy  Cheesy

Those old Model 97 Silver Beach reels are interesting. Introduced in 1938 with the resin Pear shaped handle. Changed to the handle you have in 1939 and stayed that way until 1942. They did not come back after the war or ever as a Model 97, when they did return they were the Model 99.

Hard to know exactly what year yours is. it is pre-war and it is a Model 97, not a Model 99. The Models 97 & 98 were discontinued after the war and it was not until 1949 that the Model 99 Silver Beach was brought back.