180 Lt tackle bay; Extra light casting reel; light tackle casting; Baymaster

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 01:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Hey fellas...I think I may have found the source of the growling and rough feel. I took the gear off the sleeve today and...:o  The pic clearly shows the worn down area of the sleeve where the gear rides!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Hi Mo, good discovering --

You can chuck up the sleeve in a drill press with tape on the top of the sleeve where the chuck teeth hold it.

Use a file and emory cloth tape -- finish off with "0000" steel wool.  Clean it up with simple green and water.

Then, check inside the main gear -- for anything that may have caused the gouging. 

If any rough on the ID -- clean it up also with a drill bit (in reverse, not biting in) -- or a round sanding disc.

Clean and try it out.

Or, just replace what is needed with new or used.

Good luck on this project.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on July 13, 2016, 02:06:12 AM
Check inside the main gear -- for anything that may have caused the gouging. 

The inside of the gear looks fine...probably since it's steel...the brass sleeve took all the wear. I slipped it onto a new sleeve and fit was fine. I think I may still give the gears a spin in the lapping paste for good measure.  ;)

mo65

Well...now I have an entirely different conundrum...the new gear sleeve is excessively loose on the bridge post. And I mean excessive...laterally and radially...unusable! Has anyone experienced this major difference in sleeve/post fitment? The gear sleeve is a new one from Scott's, and the reel is an oldie, late 40s/early 50s. Was there a design change somewhere along the line?  :-\

George4741

Yup, I've had this happen to me on several old reels.  Some old bridges have a smaller post.  I ended up replacing the bridge, too.
George
viurem lliures o morirem

mo65

Quote from: George4741 on July 13, 2016, 07:48:33 PM
Yup, I've had this happen to me on several old reels.  Some old bridges have a smaller post.  I ended up replacing the bridge, too.
George

I'll probably have to do the same George, as this reel is going to be fished. If I was only going to shelf it I'd just leave the old worn parts in and call it good. Good to at least know I'm not alone...hee hee!  ;D

mo65

After doing a 180 Baymaster search I see the gear post/sleeve issue is pretty common. I have another 180 I bought to get the tail plate, eccentric spring, and a better looking non-handle side bearing. I pulled the bridge from that one and it fits the new gear sleeve great. Matter of fact...the sleeve on it's post is good as new...so I may just use it. My 180 project is coming along fine.  8)

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

hurt locker

Two 180's that I am getting ready for Drifting on Lake Erie for Channels. Not sure exactly what I will upgrade yet. They still Have leather drag plates that I greased and are very smooth. One set I adapted (cut) are from a Daiwa 27SH. Had to cut the center hole a little bigger. Actually, I may put lighter line on them and use them trolling for Browns and Steelhead in shallow over the next couple of months. Great little reels and I like them a lot.

thorhammer

Nice pair brother! Careful on going down in test; not sure what's on there but I spooled ole-skool Stren Hivis orange 17lb on one of mine and it borderlines going into plate.

hurt locker

Thanks, glad you brought that up. 30lb on there now, mostly for abrasion. Will probably go with 20lb clear and step that down with a fairly long ( 10 foot or so) 12lb leader. Don't want to go much lower because they slam those lures in shallow water when trolling. The drags on these are perfect for this though.

mo65

Thorhammer is right...you gotta be careful with line. Mine even grabs 20lb. mono, but I was casting, trolling might not be an issue. I finally settled on some black Dacron I had, not even sure of what pound it is, but the 180 loves it! 8)

hurt locker

Mo, I will figure it out or I might have to dig out the modern day line counters. That will make the boys ( Both Captains) happy. They think a 3 year old Tekota 500 is Vintage. I like to challenge them with the older stuff. Heck, even the boat is a 1962 Runabout.

mo65

It looks like your reels have aluminum spools...so you may not have any issues. My spools were older plastic and chrome varieties. Also I was casting light lures...basically looking for trouble...lol! All I know is the Dacron was the runaway winner on my reel...and I'm using a 17lb. mono leader about 10ft. long.
  I here ya about the kids...hee hee...they just can't grasp the concept of a company making a particular model for years and years. Everything is "throw away" now, and, getting harder for me to grasp! :D

Gfish

Rehab'ed my brothers 180 Baymaster. Soaked and cleaned all the parts. Was gonna keep it stock and fish it, after reading Mo's posts. Indeed it's a very light weight vintage Penn- a seemingly good 20lb. reel, for fresh. or saltwater.
This'ns got the got the 30-180"S" stand( no clamp holes, so what makes it a saltwater stand?). Couldn't live with the handle/knob though, TOO SMALL! Also, looks like the previous owner kocked out the oil port & pushed the knob down further, then peened the brass shaft over the chrome shaft.

Had to replace the dog(worn out) n' leaf spring, and there's too much "start-up" at the higher drag settings with the old leather washers, so I ordered an HT set.
Looks like aluminum spools are real hard to find(29-100L) so I guess I'mna stick with the plastic one. Sounds like dacron and mono might work(as per Mo) with the plastic spool.

While back I godda Abu Revo-Toro Beast (based ona exellent review by John Tuttle and my need for a faster geared inshore baitcaster) and it came with 2 extra(3 diffrent styles, total) handles. I cut down the double knobed one, milled the square hole to fit the 180 gearsleeve and it seems perfect! It's very light-weight(aluminum & EVA)handle/knob. This and the ht's may be my only mods I do, unless Ican get the Al. Spool, hint hint.

This seems like a nice light-weight alternative to the other small vintage Penn's such as a LB 60. Hope it casts good...

The old handle's a "2689",  stamped just like that, sans the quote marks. Smallest Penn knob I ever seen.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!