49, 49A, 49L, 49-LH, 49L-LH Super Mariner

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on July 18, 2019, 07:03:24 PM
Crow, couldn't see the 49 in the e-bay reference. Can you possibly post a picture when you get it? Thanks.

Hey G...just for future reference...when you click on those "sold" links it always shows some other stuff they want to sell. You have to then click on the "view original item" box and it will show you what you wanted to see in the first place.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

broadway

Right on, Mo.  Those burnt, smashed flat, and relatively useless washers are in many of mine as well... they are original.  I place them flat on a paper towel, then press them with another paper towel on top to get the majority of old gunk off then a tiny touch of olive oil (Hey, I'm Italian) to keep them from drying out and cracking.  Many times they are cracked, disintegrated, or in pieces which is when the spare leather washers from Turboal come in.
If anyone wants to get rid of their old leather washers I'm your guy.
Dom

Crow

AC 49 was wanting to know about the size of the star, on the 49, and, the "mail person" (who is NOT "male") just dropped it off, so....

It IS the smaller star wheel...unmarked, as to part #.  I see, also, that the "driver's side " outside ring is broken :(, so I'll have to see....and think...just how I want to handle that ???  Look for a "used and abused" but "unbroken" one, on e bay, try to repair this one...or, replace them all, so "wear" is the same on all of them ? Anyway....this handle is NEAT !! My thoughts were....considering all I have to do, both in the gardens, and in the shop....to just "save this project" , until we get home , in the spring. Now, I'm "wavering", and *may* have to push this one up to the top of the list ;).
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

foakes

I will check what I have, Crow —

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

AC49

Quote from: Crow on July 20, 2019, 05:31:10 PM
  AC 49 was wanting to know about the size of the star, on the 49...
 It IS the smaller star wheel...unmarked, as to part #.  

Thanks Crow for letting me know.

What I have managed to find out after some research: In Penn #17 from 1952 is the first mention of part 10-49.
In Penn #14 from 1949 to Penn #16 of 1951 the drag star part number is documented as 10-60.
So in conclusion Penn 49 reels prior to 1952 could carry 10-60 star drag wheels as original parts.

Regards
AC49

foakes

If any of this would help you, Crow —

(4) rings — 3 new, one in lower left used
(3) new leather drag washers
(1) fiber under gear washer
(1) 49 star marked 10-49
(1) 10-60 star marked as such

I could also send you all (21) screws, if you wish (head plate and stand, tail plate and stand, bridge screws, and handle lock screw).

Let me know, if any of this works for you — N/C as long as you can use the parts on the reel.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

broadway

Good to know AC. That may help someone from pulling the hair out of their head.
I find the best way to restore a reel is with an "era correct" donor. Lots of times they'll even have a similar patina. A non numbered 49 is an easy find and only about $30. Be patient and you'll score as you have done with that one and many others you've scored.  I've been looking for a 100 yd sea ford tailpkate for about 9 months now. It'll come when I least expect it, but it will come.
Best
Dom

Crow

One nice thing about doing these reels....even if "non-period"parts are used....for example, a stand gets replaced that has a "part number", instead of "yardage" markings...to make the reel either "functional", or "eye candy", for the shelf...as long as all the original stuff is kept...it can always go back onto the reel.....it's just a matter of a few screws. Granted, if the plates are "shined up".....the "original patina" will be lost (at least until another 40-50 years of boat rash can accumulate !), but, "some" reels were "loved and cared for" a LOT more than others were....some, a "disaster", and some "cherry"......and very few make it that long without having "something" done...a spool replaced, a bearing, whatever. So, does one "go back to "day one", both with parts and finish? Or , is it better to "leave it's work clothes on" ?

broadway

That's entirely up to the current caretaker of the reel.
Me personally, I do whatever I can to make them original and beautiful. I've spent $100 (buying multiple donors) to make a $60 reel beautiful and era correct again, so you see, it's all up to the current owner.  While I typically don't overpay like many collectors, I find patience saves a ton of money in this game.
IMO, Patina is code word for "can be improved upon" ...to me at least.
You want patina? ... leave it alone after a proper restoration and in time you'll have a fantastic and EVEN patina on her. We may be dead by then, so use that as incentive to take care of yourself. ;)
Best
Dom

AC49

I agree with both Crow & Dom. I will keep the original parts at all times even if they are replaced but ....

IMO a pre 1952 Penn 49 or 49A that did have a non-numbered 10-60 drag wheel should NEVER end up with a new numbered 10-49 drag wheel that can still be bought off the shelf for $6.65 these days.
I believe in either using the original part or if the condition is too far gone then wait patiently for a decent donor part that suits the project / restoration reel in question.

Just my 2c worth ....

What the rest of you guys think ?

Regards
AC49

Maxed Out

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Historical significance and originality can be much more important than condition, when putting a dollar amount on an older reel. For 30's, 40's, and 50's Penns that appear to be factory original are more sought after by collectors. As far as pre war reels go, we know they all have patina of some sort. It's to be expected

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Deepennz

Hi Crow,
My 2cents worth - I sometimes think of those old, historical reels as being 'Grand Old Dames', and just because a previous owner hasn't shown them due love and care, why should they have to 'suffer' for ever, when a little 'makeup', love and respect is all they need in their old age.to make them happy!!
I'm with Dom - find an similar era reel and at least replace the bling rings - the rest seems all good to go.

Two other thoughts - the spools of those pre 1940 '49's are different from the 1940 - 1942 reels - they don't have the little ridge in the corner of the flange, and I believe that the use of plastic/bakelite in the 1938 model 49 was the first time Penn produced a reel with a plastic 'lightweight spool'. 

Cheers
Martin

Crow

Ted graciously offered to fix me up with the "correct" bakelite spool. (Thanks, again !), so that's taken care of. Fred is helping with some parts, too, so, hopefully, "the old gal" will be "correct", AND have some "lipstick " on !!

oc1

Quote from: Maxed Out on July 22, 2019, 07:51:00 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Historical significance and originality can be much more important than condition, when putting a dollar amount on an older reel.

I try not to be a collector but figure that collectors of the future will have better information and far better technology than we do.  Maybe they'll be able to tell how much the reel had been cleaned and with what.  They're going to be tough to fool so maybe it's best to just leave everything as is.

Things like vinegar and polish are extractive.  They take stuff away that cannot be put back.   
-steve