49, 49A, 49L, 49-LH, 49L-LH Super Mariner

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Let me know if you still want all or only some of these parts, Arlyn —

Sounds like the experts are encouraging you to leave it as original as possible.

Glad to follow whatever your wishes are...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broadway

Steve, I respect your opinions, thoughts, and knowledge but I'm missing something.  What are vinegar and polish going to get rid of except gunk and corrosion... dna?
I can't imagine someone in the future saying that a reel is valued less because it was cleaned (properly.)
Would a reel be worth more if it's corroded and non functioning ...because I save an awful lot of reels that would be in the trash.
Best,
Dom

Crow

I think what Steve is saying is that , for example, polishing is removing material...enough polishing, over the years, might totally remove the raised letters, side plate designs, etc......every time it's done, a little more "detail" goes away. And the same with the vinegar bath for corrosion....the post starts out, new, with 100% chrome, after is soaked to remove the crud (which has taken some of the chrome, by itself), some "good chrome " is also lost. Granted, most of these will never be fished, and live out their days on somebodies shelf...so no "new" corrosion", boat rash, or sun exposure damage will be added. But, if in 20, or so years, somebody comes up with a cleaning method that removes NO "good material", only "bad", or , perhaps a treatment , or sealer that totally stops any further degradation, the less "damage" we do NOW, will make a better reel IN THE FUTURE. But, Are we saving the reel for THEM, saving the reel for US, or trying to do both ?? I guess, for me, I want it in decent shape NOW, for me, and do my best to "pass it along", that same way  ???
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

broadway

Removing the lettering, multiple cleanings, new chrome being put in vinegar??
I'm out of this conversation,
Dom

foakes

As a guy who has cleaned a few (thousands) salt water reels —

All vinegar does is a great job of arresting the Verdigris (the green corrosion process we see on salt water reels).

Once this process is stopped — what is left is what is left.  There are still pits, missing chrome from the corrosion, damage from rust — but now the reel is clean, and the corrosion will not continue.

Sometimes, we tend to overthink just cleaning up a reel to be serviceable and operational.

I believe that even a shelf princess should at the least — have the crud of years of storage and fishing removed — and properly lubricated. 

Then if someone wishes to set it on a shelf — it is presentable. 

Unless a reel is unused, and a 9 or 10 — this is my approach.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

I get a kick out of all the differing views on reel treatment and restoration. But, at the end of the day your reel is yours, to do with as you please. If some guy wants to paint his mint '39 Long Beach 65 purple with a spray can, all I can do is disagree. ;D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Similar to a "barn find"car,some would leave it as is, others might strip it and completely restore it. To each his own. Both approaches have value to a certain point of view.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

Quote from: Swami805 on July 24, 2019, 03:07:56 AM
Similar to a "barn find"car,some would leave it as is, others might strip it and completely restore it. To each his own. Both approaches have value to a certain point of view.
Yeah, exactly.
-steve

Deepennz

Hi there,
For the record I thought I would post some pictures of my early '49s-

A 1938 reel on the left, and a 1939 on the right.
Both these reels are all original - just cleaned up with dilute vinegar etc.

Deepennz

Here is the two reels from 'behind'

Both reels have waffle clickers, and a respectable amount of patina!

Deepennz

In this third picture you can see the spool, with no ridge around the arbour as found in later 49's

As I said earlier, I believe these are the first examples of 'lightweight spools' produced by Penn, although I am happy to be corrected on this if anyone knows different.

Enjoy
Martin

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

1badf350

I now have a pair of marked 49A reels. Both are a mixture of numbered and unnumbered parts. The one with knurled counterweight has the fewest numbered parts.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Crow

Nice stuff, guys ! Does anyone know when Penn first made the "A" model ? As well as when they stopped putting the "A" on it ? Was it a case of folks "building there own" "A" models by adding a wide spool and longer bars, or, did Penn just stop making the "A" plate, and grabbing a "regular" one, when they had an "A" order to fill ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

AC49

Chris that is a NICE pair of 49A reels.
Congratulations of the find and thanks for sharing  :) ;)

Regards
AC49