26, 26M Monofil

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Thanks fellas, fun projects for sure!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

bhale1

Dan, what an awesome idea with the shelf and literature, might have to do that with a couple of 155's I'm re-doing for my daughters that were their Papa's (with help and tutorials I'm finding here)...very cool
Brett

reel man

Had the 27 in green with, if I remember, a green plastic spool, and traded it for a level wind 9 in darker green.  Randy has them all now.

jskinne1

I have a Penn Monofil Green #26. It has slight brassing but very minor. There will be a new reel stand. It has an aluminum spool. I would like to get a general idea what the value is.

coastal_dan

So, not to come across as unwelcoming due to this being your first, but...we have a couple unspoken rules, just to weed out scammers and folks who are only here to get values so they can sell things.

Other members - if I'm speaking out of turn...chime in.

1st - If you are here simply to get a price out of us to sell it on eBay or trade in at a pawn show, then just take a look at eBay sold/completed auctions,  it will save both you and others here time.

2nd - If you are here because you are generally interested in the reel, fishing it, or collecting it, than a big Welcome! You won't find another place like this.  If you are sticking around introduce yourself and enjoy.  I'd still send you over to eBay though to check out other auctions...don't go by asking prices...go by sold prices.

Tight Lines!

Dan from Philadelphia...

jskinne1

I can assure you that I'm not a newcomer to sportfishing websites.  I've been a  BloodyDecks member for over decade.  I was told by the guy that recommended this site that it is very informative about such things as Penn reel sales and values. I'm not a reseller, have fished these reels as a kid, have several of Alan's service descriptions downloaded, use those features regularly, and hoped to get a realistic value on this reel.  Yes, I know about checking sold prices on EBay. Very useful except when an item (reel in this case) has a somewhat unique feature...aluminum spool.

BloodyDecks has a rule about new members not posting until they have created some posts. No problkem here understanding where you are coming from.

Joe

BryanC

I don't believe the aluminum spool is original.  As far as I know they came with either a green plastic spool or a chrome plated brass spool.  I don't believe Penn made any aluminum spools until quite some time after the colored monofils were out of production.  In my opinion the aluminum spool doesn't add much to the value over the chrome plated spool, and I think most collectors would prefer the green plastic spool.  The aluminum spool is best for actual fishing, but is not particularly valuable.

foakes

Hi Joe --

Nice reel --

If it had the original green plastic spool -- value would likely be North or South of $100 by around $20.

Aluminum spool is an add-on from much later decades -- which leads to the thought that this reel was possibly a well used user reel.

These are good collector reels to fill those holes in collections.

If you could find an original green spool -- or even an original chrome spool -- and if all of the cosmetics and functions were OK -- it would make a nice additon to yours or someone else's display.

Even in the current condition -- just for the components, it would be at least $60 to $75, just in my opinion.

If it were mine, and I wanted to keep it -- I would get an original green plastic spool, new OS stand, do a complete restoration -- and set it on a shelf.

The current aluminum spool will likely be worth $15, or so --  but a green plastic spool will be tough to acquire -- but not impossible -- just takes luck and maybe some $$$.

Depending on your direction -- there are folks on here who may be able to assist in your project.

Best, and welcome!

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jskinne1

Thank you Fred. I fished the Monofil reels in the 1950s. I still have them (25 and 27). I take an oldie on my 5 to 8 day trips just for kicks...usually the 25 and I may take a aquifer jr. People raise their eyebrows when they see what I'm holding. Geez are those drag washers small. Funny, I don't remember changing drags or ever having a spool break. When asked about fishing anchovies I mention the old days using #4 or #6 hooks, 15lb mono and an 8' rod. Casting anchovies was very doable with that configuration.

Thanks again Fred.

Joe

coastal_dan

Sweet!  Welcome Joe!  I have a Green 26 with a Chrome Spool in my son's room as his first reel and a Pink 27 in my daughters room.  Awesome pieces that really are a great size.

Looks like Fred and Bryan got you your answer.  There are some people asking $399 for these reels, which is hilarious, and others buyers who get lucky and nab one for $40 or so.

Neat to hear that you are still using them.

Looking forward to more of your posts.

Tight Lines!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Swami805

Might try Randy  at vintage offshore tackle on here if your looking for a green spool, I got one from him last year to replace the chrome one on my green 26. Right in his wheelhouse.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Welcome Joe!  Sweet piece!

John

sharkman

oc1

Nice.  I've always wanted one of those.  If it is new to you, it's probably worth what you paid for it.
-steve

bluefish69

I just checked my Penn 26. I have a 29-150 Chrome Spool in it. We changed them almost the first season because the Mono [new back then] would crack the plastic spool. The Chrome rings are showing some Brassing.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.