42 Sea Hawk

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Steve, I will take a photo of reels next to it for comparison and send it to Arlyn to post if he will do it one more time for me.
It's super narrow even though it doesn't look it due to nothing to scale it to.
Stay tuned,
Dom

Crow

It's a little guy, that's for sure !

Glad to post them, Dom !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

Also Dom, does it have a pull-out-the-handle free spool clutch?   If so, it would be my dream reel.
There should be a legit name for that clutch.
-steve

broadway

Yes, it does have that pull out handle, free spool, clutch thing, lol.
I changed the name of who posted the photos for me... I stuffed up! ;)
Thanks
Dom

mo65

Wow! Sweet reel Dom! What a find! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Cooool.
Would love to see the guts on the pull-out handle penns like these. Hint, hint.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

This is a #15 that I just received, but it's the "same", as far as the free spool feature: I'm no good at putting "captions" with each individual pic, so, I'll try to explain it all, first.
    The "main gear / drive shaft" is all one piece, and you can see the two "grooves" around the shaft. These are the grooves that the "detent" snaps into. The detent is nothing more than a spring loaded "plunger", that locates into the grooves....one for "free spool" position, and one for "engaged" position. The metal housing ,that both supports the main shaft, and holds the "detent", DOES have  a "hex" shape...but, it DOESN'T unscrew! Although, whoever had this one tried :-[, and pretty well "buggered" the face plate, in the process !
   Note that the gearing isn't "constant mesh", so, when shifting" the spool into "gear" (the "in" position for the shaft), the main gear has to "find" the teeth on the pinion gear....so, if the spool was spinning" (maybe that "big one" that hit as soon as the lure touched down :P), there would be a certain amount of "gear clashing". As was pointed out, the "angled" gear teeth, besides providing a more constant contact as the gears rotate, also help to get the to "mesh together" without "grinding".
    I actually fish two of this "style", in freshwater, for smallmouth (throwing old style spinner baits), and , I fish them "backwards", so the are Left hand crank. Done that way, any great amount of pressure on the spool tends to force the gears apart...or, into neutral...instead of forcing them to"stay meshed" (as if it was fished "right handed"). I will say that I haven't had any issues with it "popping out of gear", which probably says more about the dinky fish I catch, than it does about the ability of the "detent" to hold the shaft in place ::).
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Deepennz

Hi Dom,
Very nice find - there is a footnote in MIKE C's Green book, page 35, where he describes Ray Hodges having found a 100yd Seahawk, pictures included.
I guess, reely, it should be labelled a Seahawk 41!!

Well done!!!
Martin

broadway

I will crack her open soon to clean her up, and will take photos.
Thanks Mo, Gfish, Martin... and thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
I know I'm in good company if Ray had one.  I looked in the blue book and there wasn't any photos, but didn't check the green book. Thanks!
Anyone else have one?
Best,
Dom

Gfish

Thanks Crow. Great explaination!
I love the simplicity. Negatives would be the possible gear grinding and thumbin the spool/line for drag purposes. Given the simple construction/ maintenance, and the cool picture plates, I'd get one just to experience it. Not to worry though, I won't be actively collecting one.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Yeah, that's definitely my dream reel.  I'd make you an offer Dom, but we play in different leagues.  :)

The Penn 15 has that same clutch but it's a much larger reel.
-steve

broadway

Steve,  I'm sorry but I can't part with this one.  I've never seen one and evidently not too many have been unearthed.
I may have an extra 150 yd. somewhere though if you want me to look?
Were all in the same league around here, pal.
What kind fishing do you do using a 100 yd sea hawk, just curious?
Thanks
Dom

milne

Hi Dom,   Wow !!!
       I never knew it existed, that is some find right there.
   Here's me thinking I had covered all the Sea Hawk models !!!
luv it, Luv it Luv it Dom,  thanks for sharing your find.

That will look superb on your shelf next to the others......

Col

broadway

Thanks a bunch, Col. I'm pretty happy with this one.
Steve, I just checked and the 150yd. and unfortunately, she has a freespool lever.
Dom

Crow

Dom, what is the diameter of the plates on it ? And the width of the spool ? I'm trying to get a handle on it's size.............Thanks