125 Seagate

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin Crofton

Quote from: mo65 on March 23, 2019, 10:06:03 PM
That's a nice Seagate Darin! 8)
Thanks, Mike, I'm getting the hang of cleaning up these reels and getting them back together, I guess you could say I'm "hooked" ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks, Mike, I'm getting the hang of cleaning up these reels and getting them back together, I guess you could say I'm "hooked"

Your Sea Gate is very cool. With that handle counter weight, I would say the reel is the last version. A 1942 model. Very nice reel.

Darin Crofton

Thank you, Mike, for the great feedback! Mine had a brass main gear, but I replaced it with a steel one. I'm guessing it had steel originally?
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Penn Chronology

QuoteThank you, Mike, for the great feedback! Mine had a brass main gear, but I replaced it with a steel one. I'm guessing it had steel originally?

Basically, the Sea Gate is a Long Beach with a different name. Internals are the same as the Long Beach. They probably came with both steel and or brass.

Crow

I just tore into a Sea Gate.....Rosewood "football" knob, and hex click button, but no markings on the stand, at all...so. maybe a "replacement stand" , on a '41 reel ? Anyway, the old girl isn't in *too bad* shape, but was "taking turns" being "locked up", and having "no anti reverse", before I took it down, and.....here's where all of you will say. "Ha !"....when I took the headplate off, a dog fell out on the bench....I see no sign of a spring (the "Ha !" comes about here !), and I'm *sure* it didn't fall to the bench, or, shoot off into the sunset ! Thing is, when I looked at the schematic, At Mystic, it shows a "coil spring"and a dog with a "hump on his back", where the spring would "push against"....this dog has no "hump", so, I wonder if there should be a "flat spring ", instead of a coil, in these 'older model's"...I'll post a pic, or two, when I get the other computer going, but, I was going to order up some parts, and I'm wondering just WHAT I should order for a dog (this one is a bit chewed up...I suppose from jamming into the main gear ?), and spring, so I figured , maybe, one of you fella's could tell me  which is "correct". And, does the dog "hing" on one of the bridge screws (dog fell out before I removed those !), or on the cast-in bakelite "pin" on the inside of the headplate?.......Thanks
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

I just enlarged Mo's pix, and my dog looks to be the same as his.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

Crow, the blank seat is original to the reel.

Penn stopped stamping yardage in 1940, and from 1940-1950 there was no part # stamped on the seat.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

Thanks !! I figured it had to have either a part#, or a yardage . I just noticed another "issue" with it, when cleaning the plastic spool. The "two halves" of the spool have apparently 'broken loose", at the center "join". I ran into the same thing on another old, plastic spool (I suppose it was pressure" from using all mono line ???), that one, though, had also broken the solder join on the click wheel, so I could easily super glue the plastic "halves" together, then re solder the Gear wheel" to the shaft. Not sure what I'll try, on this one. Maybe I can put a little super glue into one of the "line tie" holes, and give the halves a quarter turn, to spread it around, before it sets ?

mo65

Quote from: Crow on June 12, 2019, 07:22:59 PM
    I'm wondering just WHAT I should order for a dog (this one is a bit chewed up...I suppose from jamming into the main gear ?), and spring, so I figured , maybe, one of you fella's could tell me  which is "correct". And, does the dog "hing" on one of the bridge screws (dog fell out before I removed those !), or on the cast-in bakelite "pin" on the inside of the headplate?

You said the magic word there Crow..."pin"...that pin is what the flat spring wraps around...so we know what you need! All the old Long Beach style reels(this includes the Seagate) use a #15-60 dog, so this is what you'll need to get:

https://www.mysticparts.com/15-60-Dog-P12552.aspx

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/14-155.aspx

The original parts are no longer available, but these will work. Oh...almost forgot...the dog does hang on the bridge screw. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

Thanks for the info !!  Here's a couple pix, "pre teardown"

oc1

Quote from: Crow on June 12, 2019, 08:39:53 PM
Maybe I can put a little super glue into one of the "line tie" holes, and give the halves a quarter turn, to spread it around, before it sets ?
Try Loctite 770 primer followed by a CA like Loctite 406.
-steve

Crow

Good idea, Steve, Thanks ! I doubt I ever "fish" this reel, but, if anyone ever did....with only half of the spool "pulling", it would sure make a mess! :o

Crow

I followed Steve's advice, and used some Loctite products to "secure" the two spool halves, gave everything a good cleaning, and servicing, and threw the old gal together !  It's certainly no "beauty queen", but it fits with most of the others in my collection !

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

AC49

Good job there Crow. Love the original no number non-handle side bearing too  :o

Regards
AC49