Penn 80TW - Clicker Issue

Started by Marlinmate, April 09, 2024, 05:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

With the reel in freespool and the clicker engaged, the clicker works.   If I put some drag on the reel, and ease up the drag lever,  the spool pushes to the left...moving the click plate away from the clicker and I get no click. It's almost as if the click tongue needs to be longer??

Any thoughts? 
FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Penn

Shimming the left side will help I would recommend 0.20 on top of the left side bearing.  If you have shims on the right side, or re-arranged the clutch config you may be pushing it too far to the left.  You may also need a new click tongue and spring if worn. 

tony

Marlinmate

Quote from: Penn on April 09, 2024, 05:08:46 PMShimming the left side will help I would recommend 0.20 on top of the left side bearing.  If you have shims on the right side, or re-arranged the clutch config you may be pushing it too far to the left.  You may also need a new click tongue and spring if worn. 

tony

is the spring you mention the one in between the drag plates?     the  bellevilles are in ()() config and there are no shims.

Penn

Quote from: Marlinmate on April 09, 2024, 05:16:38 PM
Quote from: Penn on April 09, 2024, 05:08:46 PMShimming the left side will help I would recommend 0.20 on top of the left side bearing.  If you have shims on the right side, or re-arranged the clutch config you may be pushing it too far to the left.  You may also need a new click tongue and spring if worn. 

tony

is the spring you mention the one in between the drag plates?     the  bellevilles are in ()() config and there are no shims.

Sorry I meant click spring.  I would start wit 0.020 shims on the left side bearing.  That may correct the issue. 

tony

Marlinmate

Tried a .02 shim.  Tried other thickness shims.... It will work, but it has increased the drag tremendously. Tried various versions of the bellevilles with all of the above.

Got a click tongue and ratchet on order. Fingers crossed

Marlinmate

Welp....the new click tongue didn't work. I don't know what the deal is with this reel?

But....I put in a new ratchet plate...still nothing.  Then I went all in and filed down the outside of the Click Tongue bushing....which would allow the click tongue and click button to sit closer to the side plate.  This would ultimately allow the click tongue to plunge deeper into the ratchet. A few tries and some fine use of a dremel to create an indent into the bushing for "no click" conditions and I got it to work.

Only thing I didn't try is a new click tongue, but the old original part # of 35-80.....not the new 35-80ST.

Maybe the old click tongue was that worn down that it didn't make contact?

Customer is happy