Penn 112 Black

Started by steelhead_killer, April 17, 2016, 02:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: sdlehr on April 17, 2016, 04:11:21 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on April 17, 2016, 05:15:10 AM

....and look for one with longer handle as it increases the gear ratio ;) ;) ;)
I get what you mean, but the gear ratio remains the same. It increases the torque you can apply to the drive shaft and would have the same feel as decreasing the gear ratio; the crank will be easier to turn, but you'll still retrieve the same amount of line per turn with the same gear ratio.

Just my 2 cents.

Sid
Here is another 2 cents from me.
You are correct Sid, a longer arm gives you more leverage, but the ratio is always the same.
From my crazy tests that I've been doing in the past, I've noticed a longer arm helped damaging the gears quicker.
A longer arm will also  rack the reel back and forth, especially a larger reel while pulling heavy weight.
Most of the custom arms that I've requested are no longer that a 1/2" from the stock arms.
I believe Alan's custom arms are of the same length as stock. Alan probably already knew this and didn't tell us ;D.
With that said, i would still love to have that arm that Ted is showing on my new 49.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Problem to me, although it is a conversation piece -- not too practical unless the handle metal was beefed up to SS.

A stock Penn handle will flex and distort -- this will be even more so.

Just my opinion.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 17, 2016, 04:25:11 PM

Here is another 2 cents from me.
You are correct Sid, a longer arm gives you more leverage, but the ratio is always the same.
From my crazy tests that I've been doing in the past, I've noticed a longer arm helped damaging the gears quicker.
A longer arm will also  rack the reel back and forth, especially a larger reel while pulling heavy weight.
Most of the custom arms that I've requested are no longer that a 1/2" from the stock arms.
I believe Alan's custom arms are of the same length as stock. Alan probably already knew this and didn't tell us ;D.
With that said, i would still love to have that arm that Ted is showing on my new 49.

Sal
Interesting, because we usually see rounding of the gear sleeve before damaging gears. In this case it's probably a difference between chronic and acute. It takes a while to round off a gear sleeve. That's from a chronic problem; it happens a little bit at a time, very gradually. Damaging gears happens with a sudden massive overload of the metal's capability to withstand the forces placed on it. Gears strip. That's an acute problem. If the gears didn't strip first the gear sleeve would likely be the next weakest link with this longer crank arm. Great to collect, not so great to fish with.... two different markets.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

Gear damage doesn't always happen the same way.  I've seen the tip of the pinion splitting even though it had the reinforced ring, while the teeth looked good on both. On others, I've seen the teeth distorted on both, pinion and main, sometimes only on the main gear.
About the damaged gear sleeve, in most cases it will still bring  in the fish, the handle would still work, but will obviously need to be replaced.

I don't believe the earlier custom sleeves were heat treated, but I might be wrong.

To me a longer arm looks good, but not so good to fish with. I don't mind having mine a little longer, but most are only 1/2" longer than stock.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

If you really want the felt washer for under the "top hat" metal washer I should have some. Only grease is needed there.

I'll look tomorrow and see if I have a nice chromed one piece "top hat" washer for that reel.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelhead_killer

Quote from: handi2 on April 18, 2016, 12:04:56 AM
If you really want the felt washer for under the "top hat" metal washer I should have some. Only grease is needed there.

Thanks!  The original cleaned up ok, I guess... Since I have zero experience with felt washers.  Clean it with lighter fluid?  Than re-grease it with cals?

Thanks Handi2

Andy
><)))">

Tightlines667

Quote from: steelhead_killer on April 18, 2016, 12:10:57 AM
Quote from: handi2 on April 18, 2016, 12:04:56 AM

Thanks!  The original cleaned up ok, I guess... Since I have zero experience with felt washers.  Clean it with lighter fluid?  Than re-grease it with cals?

Thanks Handi2

Andy

I have cleaned them with a solvent (such as mineral oil), then soaked them in corrosion X.  Seems to provide good results.  Nothing wrong with some grease on the outside.  The idea is to help provide a barrier against water intrusion.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

basto

These are great reels. I have 2 now. A shelfy and a user. A photo of the stock drag that came with mine and a photo of the new drag. and last is the reel with a jig master handle which is a bit bigger than the original and works well.

cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Mattman NZ

Well that reel cleaned up nice Basto - job well done .
Rgds

Matt...

steelhead_killer

Quote from: basto on April 18, 2016, 05:48:54 AM
These are great reels. I have 2 now. A shelfy and a user. A photo of the stock drag that came with mine and a photo of the new drag. and last is the reel with a jig master handle which is a bit bigger than the original and works well.

cheers
Basto

So where did you get the different CF drags in different thickness?  Thanks by the way that diagram is great!
><)))">

basto

Quote from: Mattman NZ on April 19, 2016, 01:51:07 AM
Well that reel cleaned up nice Basto - job well done .
Rgds

Matt...

Thanks Matt
Yes, solid little Senators.

basto

Not all of these 3/0 Senators come with 5 non metal drag washers. My other 3/0 came with 3 hard asbestos ones.

steelhead_killer

><)))">

basto

Looking good...well done. They are very similar to the Long Beach Deluxe reels that preceded them.
cheers
Basto