Trimming down a rod tip?

Started by coastal_dan, March 22, 2016, 01:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Just curious if any of you guys trim down your rod tips to change the tip action on a finished rod, not the blank pre-build.  I'm asking because there is a tried and true Ugly stik that quite a few folks use for cod/tilefish/deep water bottom bouncing that is 8', I've heard rumors that cutting off the last 6 inches and putting on a new guide really help with the additional weight (24-48+ ounces).   The rod is only 64.99 but I've heard that besides it being a bit heavy it's a great rod to get started with.  Plus $350ish for a custom isn't in the books...I could buy the Ugly Stik and pay for the fishing trip with that much, haha!  Rod model is the BWB 1120-80.  Thanks all!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

cbar45

Hi Dan,

What you propose has been done before and on certain rods works quite well as a budget modification.

As you noted, trimming from the tip is done to increase the rod's power (handle more weight), while resulting in a slightly slower action,(bends deeper into the butt section). It is also something best done on glass and low-modulus blanks, as they are more forgiving to having their actions changed in this manner.

Here in Hawaii there is an imported line of off-the-shelf ulua/surf rods called Nitro Rod's. Nicely built--but a bit soft--so it is a common modification to trim a little off the tip on the 60/40 split "heavy" models. The resulting 55/45 (or 50/50) split does a better job at handling the heavy weights and baits used in ulua fishing.

Of course, if the rod is already 50/50, it will look odd with the tip trimmed, but will still perform as desired. The guide spacing might also end up looking odd, but ideally the second guide down from the tip is removed and the cut made at--or close to--that area. Take care not to have too great a space between the new tip and the guide below it.

For blank trimming I use a mini-chop saw with cut-off wheel, but you can also use a dremel or a fine-toothed hacksaw if you're careful. You want to first wrap the blank with a few layers of masking tape where you plan to make the cut--this is to prevent splintering. It also helps to keep the centerline of the blank level on either side of where you will be cutting.

Some people prefer to trim a little bit at a time, say in 2" increments, until they get the desired action. Once the material is cut, it's cut, and can't be put back on..;)

Chad

Reel 224

Dan: I have an older stick that is meant for fishing deep sea Tile fish. It needs some refurbishing but it's a good rod. When do you need this rod? Ill take a picture of the rod and post it on here so you can have a look. I can put new guides and a roller tip on it for you. You can have the rod,Just pay for the Guides.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

thorhammer

Dan I'd say a substantial part of my collection are yard sale specials that lost a couple inches off tip. I've gotten St Croix, Fenwick, Shimamo Thallus and others for less than $10 this way and laugh to the bank with a $3 Fuji bplt tip sitting nicely.  All good notes above; I use a three corner file for the cut but all work.  Years ago when you could get UGly blanks I would whack 6 off tip and butt of the 12' surf blanks to get a great 6oz sweet spot.

Let me know and I will PM you a quick home setup for this that will cost you about five bucks. 

John

coastal_dan

Chad - Thanks for the pointers and info!  I'll have to take a look at the guide spacing once the rod is in my hands.

Joe - That is insanely kind of you, I ended up buying the rod last night though.  Should be here in a couple days.  I truly appreciate the offer, very kind.

John - Thanks for the tip about the file.  Good to know folks do this fairly often.  I'd appreciate the home set-up tip as I'll be doing this in the very near future.

Thanks all, enjoy the day.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

cbar45

Quote from: thorhammer on March 22, 2016, 11:44:29 AM
Dan I'd say a substantial part of my collection are yard sale specials that lost a couple inches off tip. I've gotten St Croix, Fenwick, Shimamo Thallus and others for less than $10 this way and laugh to the bank with a $3 Fuji bplt tip sitting nicely.  All good notes above; I use a three corner file for the cut but all work.  Years ago when you could get UGly blanks I would whack 6 off tip and butt of the 12' surf blanks to get a great 6oz sweet spot.

Let me know and I will PM you a quick home setup for this that will cost you about five bucks.  

John

Thanks John, I forgot about the file.

Dan, if you only have a hacksaw and tri-corner file, definitely go with the file and rotate the rod while you cut.

Filing is somewhat less finesse and greatly reduces any chance of splintering.

Reel 224

Dan: the offer still stands if you need it.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Cor

Wrap some masking tape around the area you wish to cut, will also reduce probability of the graphite splintering.
You can shorten a blank from the tip which should stiffen the rod, or from the but, or even lengthen it at the but, depending on what you wish to achieve with it.
Just think and plan first before using saw with small teeth, there is no "undo" button!
Cornelis