Alternativ reel to Shimano Tyrnos

Started by raider, April 21, 2016, 01:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raider

Hi Forum,

Currently I'm looking for a reel like the Shimano Tyrnos 30. I am sure here are fishermen who know alternatives. The reason why I want to use a different reel is a personal problem with Shimano and the suppliers. I don't want to explain the whole story.
The reel should be a Lever drag and about the same line capacity. The most important criteria is the line retrieve about (Tyrnos 115cm). I want to use the reel for European Catfish, so only in freshwater.
I'm sure you can help me during my search.

Best regards from Austria

Bryan Young

Do you have a budget in mind and what's your drag setting in kg or pounds?  And what kind of line capacity do you need?

Not quite your spec but from Penn, I would recommend the Fathom FTH60LD2 (http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-reels-conventional-reels-penn-fathom/penn-fathom-lever-drag-2-speed/1347896.html#sz=16&start=10)

From Okuma, Andros Single Speed A-12S (http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/lever-drag-reels/andros-single-speed) or Andros Single Speed Special Edition A-12SSE or A-16SSE (http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/lever-drag-reels/andros-special-edition).  If you prefer a 2 speed, then A-12IIa or A-16IIa (http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/lever-drag-reels/andros-two-speed-a-series)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Quote from: raider on April 21, 2016, 01:13:25 PM
The reason why I want to use a different reel is a personal problem with Shimano and the suppliers. I don't want to explain the whole story.

I feel your pain......

raider

Hi,
i know my question was short, maybe it was the time pressure, or my English skills ... here are more details, and a little background information.

I want more than 400m line with 0,5 to 0,6mm diameter. I know the most users here use different measurement units, therefor i will give you an example. I want a reel with more than 400, about 450m 150lb Power Pro.

normally we don't fish more than 5-7kg drag.

The only reason why we use such "big" reals is the line capacity.

if you fish on long distance (more than 300m), you have to retrieve the line quickly. the anglers who don't use conventional reels, use spinning reels like the Penn SSM.

i want to spend less than 350$.

kind regards , Daniel

FatTuna

Penn international or one of the mid-sized Avets. The Penn Torque 300 LD is a cool reel.

How big are these catfish? Could you get by with lighter line? Some brands of line are thinner than others.

raider

The catfish in Italy, France and Spain exceed 2,5m (8f+) in length and 100kg (220lb) in weight. The reason why we use 150lb line is essentially resistance to abrasion. In the big rivers are many rocks and sunken trees.

I googled the reels... the okumas look very interesting.

Daniel

FatTuna

200lbs! That's wild. You have any pics? That sounds like fun.

Is it the same as a Wells catfish?

Keta

Quote from: raider on April 21, 2016, 07:09:07 PM
Hi,
i know my question was short, maybe it was the time pressure, or my English skills ...  

Welcome to the board Daniel, our written English is fine, possibly better than mine, your question was short and to the point.  We just needed a bit more information.

Put the Avet HX on your list.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

raider

Hello,
Thanks for all suggestions. I made a list to compare the different reels. I hope my research was correct. If there are more suggestions, I will add the reel to my list ;)

Reel: Shimano Tyrnos 30
Line retrieve: 114cm
Line capacity: 30/600, 40/450
Max Drag: 33lb

Reel: AVET HX 5.2 2Speed
Line retrieve: 115cm
Line capacity: 30/500
Max Drag: 27lb

Reel: PENN International VS 2 SPEED 16
Line retrieve: 114cm
Line capacity: 30/480
Max Drag: 28lb