Level wind recommendation please

Started by mrand, April 27, 2016, 12:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrand

Hey guys
Could y'all please make a recommendation for a level wind reel for my boys...very capable 6 and 9 year olds:)

We do a lot of coastal fishing and land based shark fishing. I usually send out the big baits with the regular senators. But I have a couple of 10-20 lbs setups for them. (Currently their cutdown 4.5 foot fenwick rod has a penn seaboy 85 it works but is slow and it's not level wind) I want to do everything to make their fishing experiences most enjoyable so I think a level wind is in order. I love the senator series
what is the closest thing to a senator in a level wind reel?.

I'm thinking something in the 3/0-4/0 size for them. Mono and level wind.
Any recommendations?

And then there is the question: is it safe to use for kids. I did growing up but I worry about the level wind mechanism oscillating back and forth when the big shark takes off.
Thank you all!

Keta

No LW Senators, if you are wanting older reels the 309, modern reels Fathom Levelwind FTH 40 LW
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

No Senators with a levelwind. But you might find a Penn GT2 or GT3 levelwind that would be very suitable for them. They will last them into adulthood & beyond if serviced regularly.     Rudy

whalebreath

Abu Garcia has some very easy to use/service reels-Ambassadeur 5600 or 6500 sound like they would work and are cheap on Ebay.

Marcq

How about a Penn 350, capable reel

Marc.. 

foakes

Penn 320GTI or 330GTI are capable and strong reels with LWs -- not very expensive -- fine for small or medium sharks -- parts are not a problem.

Stronger than a 209, 309, or ABU.

Not expensive used.

Check them out -- you would be surprised how stout and capable they are.

330 is kind of equivilent sizewise to a 4/0 -- 320 to a 3/0.

Good luck,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Korosec

ML-  You don't need any more reels ;-)      Good point about the level wind mechanism however...  Never would have thought of that. 

steelfish

levelwind reels for big sharks dont match, I havent hear of a big levelwind reel capable of figthing a shark.

but good point on levelwind for small kids, my 15yo daugther used a 320gti and caught a 12#-15# Yellowtail (nothing comparable to a shark), but the reel worked like a charm, she really needed a LW reel since had zero experience on leveling the line manually for herself

this same reel caught a nice 20# grouper bass on Baja
The Baja Guy

mrand

thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up getting a vintage metal spool 209 for my youngest and a vintage metal spool 309 for my oldest. I hear ya that they aren't as strong as the GT series but I think it would make a great story if they get spooled on that big shark lurking in the shallows. I'll report back when that happens ;)

seriously though I do like the look of the 209 and 309. very classic Penn and I got them for a steal on eBay.

thanks to all!

foakes

Good reels --

If on the off chance the level-wind stopped working because the nylon idler gear lost a few teeth (by design it is the weak link to protect the more expensive gears and possibly serious injury -- like a shear pin on an outboard) -- it just takes less than a minute and a screwdriver to drop out the pawl, release and remove the worm gear and line guide.  And keep fishing.  Then you can replace the idler afterwards.

Go through them completely to get them salt ready -- new CF drags, Cal's drag grease, Penn or Yamaha Marine grease, synthetic oil.  Clean up everything -- replace the pawl or idler gear if necessary, grease up the rings and sideplates underneath, spool them up with new mono -- and you are ready to go.

Adjust properly the outboard spool tensioner, as well as the level wind spring tensioner.

Best Regards, and good fishing --

We need some pics of the kids fishing with their new gear.

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mrand

Fred
what you posted was like an instructional manual that I will use to guide me as a prepare the reels. I was only planning to do the routine maintenance as I do for my senators, it sounds like I have a little more work to do but I'm ready :)

many many thanks!

thorhammer

my recco was the same, 209/309 or 320/330....I have a bunch of both. good choices.

mrand

handi2

I've caught some big fish with the Penn 320/330 reels. That's all I used for 4 years fishing for Red Snapper and other bottom dwellers. Other fish caught were multiple Cobia lurking around the wrecks, Amberjack, Barricuda, ect.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL