Penn 506HS Issue

Started by Smols, April 29, 2016, 04:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smols

I am having a problem with a new-to-me Penn 506HS. It has a stainless steel gear sleeve and new carbontex drags installed. It free spools well and everything seems to be working fine. However, when I went to test the drag, it seems to be binding somewhere. The sensation is like a very sticky drag. When I hold the spool and crank the handle with some drag, the drag washers seem to be working normally, and the drag feels smooth. But as soon as I pull line off the spool with a medium to high drag setting, the binding, sticky drag issue occurs. The reel is not fishable as it is. I looked at the gears and they seem to be fine, the gear sleeve looks new and the drags are new. Is there something else I should be looking at? Has anyone experienced this problem with these reels? Thanks.

Bryan Young

Try pulling line straight off the spool. Then through the guides. I suspect your guides may be grooved. If not, try wetting your line before testing the drags through the rod
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Are the drags Greased with Cal's?
Life is Good!

Smols

I do not have the reel on a rod. I am pulling line straight off the reel. Drags are greased with Cals.  :-\

foakes

Hi Paul --

Is that the reel I just sent back to you?

If so, there were (4) issues that I corrected, but it is possible that the aftermarket SS sleeve is still binding under outward drag pressure.  Depending on who manufactured the sleeve -- sometimes things are off enough to cause issues.

Can't recall if I tested that part ot not -- but there are sometimes issues with the pin lining up with the groove.

Under pressure -- it may be acting up again.

If you send it back, as soon as I return from back East (30 days) I will switch out the sleeve, bridge, or whatever is necessary to make it work properly -- then get it back to you.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Fred,
I thought you were on vacation? 

Enjoy yourself, the reels and your administration duties will certainly be there when you get home in a month.

:)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Smols

Fred,

Yes, it is the same reel that you just sent back to me. I knew you were on vacation so I decided to see if I might be able to fix the problem with some help from others here so that I could get it on the water. It seems though, that it may not be a simple issue and I don't have any spare parts for these reels laying around. I do have a jigmaster 500 that I may try to swap the gear sleeve with and see if that solves the problem. If I can't figure it out, I will send it back to you after you return. Enjoy your vacation! and like Tightlines said, the reels and your admin duties will be there when you return.

Paul

foakes

Thanks, Paul --

Go ahead and send it to me around the 3rd week in May.

The Post Office is holding all packages and mail for us for 30 days.

I will take care of the issue -- plus reimburse you for shipping -- and take care of the return shipping charge.

I have any parts necessary to switch out what is required.

Thanks for allowing me to look at it again -- and make it right...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Smols

Fred,

Thank you for your generous offer to fix this reel. I tried switching the gear sleeve with a stock brass one from a jigmaster 500 and the problem still existed. So I am thinking that is is the shaft of the bridge that is causing the issue. Does that make sense to you?  Anyway, I will pm you when you return from your trip and we can come up with a plan for this reel. I think if we can narrow down the issue, I can install the part myself and save you the trouble of shipping the reel.

Paul