Penn Senator 116L (12/0)

Started by Alto Mare, March 03, 2011, 03:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 31, 2011, 01:01:12 AM
Boghy, didn't you catch that 9 foot hammer head with a 4/0  at 15 to 20 lb. of drag ? You already know what these Senators can do, I just think that 60lb. setting on land is just too high, my buddy Dom makes a good point, if you're not strapped down you could go flying off the boat.
Nah thats light stuff haha. Im waitin to get my makaira 50w to try and pull 85 haha. I can hold 30 no problem, and im 6'4" and 180lbs. Im just tryin to figure out how to get 60lbs off a 12/0
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

You guys really know your stuff about these old penns. I just started collecting in Sept. and have a 3/0,a 4/0,a 6/0, three 9/0's, one 10/0, two 12/0's and a 14/0. I have so much work ahead of me getting them back to new, mainly the drags and cleaning.
I have a new yoke, eccentric jack, dog and spring for the 12/0 I'm currently working on. I will tackle that this weekend. I think the dog spring is just done. Once I get this one in tip top shape, I will move on to the 10.
Sal, why dont you recommend sanding the old drags and putting them back in? They looked like new except for a little glazing that I sanded off with some emery cloth.
Also, do i really need the 7 drag setup? Won't the old school 5 stack reel in a 8 foot tiger?
One more thing, In the schematic, it shows a spacing sleeve between the star drag wheel and the drag stack. I don't think I have this in mine. It seems to be working fine without it.
Thanks for your help guys.
Life is Good!

Keta

Some of the old drags contained asbestos.

More inches of contact will give you either a smoother drag at low settings or a higher max drag, a 7+1 drag is the first thing I'd do.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

+1 Lee. The drags with asbestos were the thick drag washers. they were advertised as brake lining drags. I just cleaned up a 116A 10/0 for a friend that had them. I need to order new drags for his reel. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Shark Hunter

I see, I guess if they are asbestos, thats good enough reason to pitch them. Any info on the spacing sleeve?
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Here is the schematic:
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/116L.pdf

If you don't have the room, you'll be ok without it. I just checked a few of my 10/0's and I don't see any with the spacing sleeve.
Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

The 10/0 here has a cap, I haven't looked at the schematic, but it may be called the spacing sleeve on it. I'll take a pic and post it later. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Cone

Duh, my memory is slipping. The star is the cap. Of course the adult beverages consumed while doing this reel probably didn't help.  :o   
Here is a pic with the star removed.

Bob

Alto Mare

Ok, I just removed the handle on a 10/0 and a 12/0 and yes they both have the spacer. The spacer is only 1/8" thick and it sits right above the last thick cupped washer, the star sits on top. You might need it when you convert the drags to 1+7. the last thing you need is the star to bottom out with a nice fish on :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

You could probably add a thick metal washer to add height to your stack if it bottoms out.

Shark Hunter

Amen to the Adult Beverages!
I just placed another order to scotts. It seems like every order I place is at least 60 dollars.
I ordered the two complete metal washer sets and enough drag discs for two complete reels plus two spacing sleeves.
I need to figure out how to post pics to show you guys my collection.
Any advice on rods?
I have bought a few off ebay. I have two Davis rods tha seem pretty nice. I have a 100 to 130 rated roller rod for my 10/0 that feels pretty good.
All I need is a Good Harness setup and a Kayak.
I am leaning toward a Braid Power Play Baelt and Harness, I'm still up in the air on the Kayak. What do you guys use?
Life is Good!

George4741

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 05, 2012, 01:08:59 PM

I just placed another order to scotts. It seems like every order I place is at least 60 dollars.

I think most of us know what you mean. ;) 

For those guys who want 60lb of drag, what are you using for line?  200lb test? 
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

Come on guys,
I really need some input on a Kayak and Harness.
I know you guys have caught some big fish. I'm hoping to catch a big Tiger or Hammerhead. I will be fishing in Navarre/Pensacola come May. I'm bringing a 10/0 a 12 and a 14 just in case.
I can't wait!
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Shark Hunter, I don't know much about shark fishing with a Kayak, but here is my personal input, I think you're nuts. ;D
Never mind the harness, just make sure you tie those babies in case they go for a dip ;), I deposited two nice penn reels with rods,  in the Gulf side of Florida a couple of years ago on a Kayak :-\.
The reels that you mentioned, along with rods, you'll have way over $2500 worth of gear. But never mind that, just be safe out there.
Good luck!
Sal

Cone

Sal, Here the land based shark fishermen use kayaks to paddle out the baits. If the wind or currents are right people used to put the bait in a cardboard box and let them float out. Then a good pull put the bait in the water. If someone is fighting sharks with a harness in a kayak I want to see the video.  ;) Bob