calcutta 50 free spool

Started by phishxxii, May 01, 2016, 02:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phishxxii

My Calcutta 50 reel is turning very slow in free spool, no matter how loose I make the spool tension knob I`ve serviced the reel and even changed the bearing with those made by Fast Eddy for the Calcutta 50.I basically have to feed out the line until my bait hits bottom. The level wind is disengaged in free spool so it can`t be the problem. What can be done to rectify this problem?

oc1

My guess would be a warped frame or bent spool shaft.  With three spool bearings, everything has to be aligned very precisely or it will bind.  The deformity can be so slight that most of us would never notice it.  Try removing the center spool bearing and see if freespool improves (can't fish with it like that though).  Then check freespool with the center bearing in place but the bearing under the cast control knob removed.  Also look to see if the shaft wobbles with the cast control knob bearing removed.  If you can fix it then please let me know and I'll send you mine.
-steve

Zimbass

Did the reel use to cast fine before you serviced it ?

Those 50's are the most painful reels of all the Shimano round reels to work on. Bantam of Shimano fame once posted that he hated working on these reels, as they were so finicky ! If the reel was fine before, then it is probable that the  set plate and right side plate are not fitted correctly. This causes the whole reel to be out of alignment .

Try and strip these parts down, taking care to see that the posts on the set plate fit snugly into the holes on the side plate.

Cheers,

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.