Penn Baja Special anti-reverse problem

Started by steelfish, May 03, 2016, 04:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Sal, these dog post are in fact peened slightly on the bottom. When I stated I dont like peening I was speaking of the method used here. This is not a rare occurrence when this reel is used above 20 lbs. of drag. Id much rather see a press fit & then hard soldered or brazed. However that would drive the up cost. 

I know a lot of people like the idea of a stainless bridge I admit it would be nice but strength wise I dont believe it is necessary here for a reel that is to be fished below 30 lbs drag....Jeff

Three se7ens

I recall from an earlier post that Penn attributed the problem to a batch of ratchets that were badly dished from being stamped on a dull die.  It looks like that ratchet has a pretty bad dish, which may affect how the dogs engage.  

steelfish

Quote from: Three se7ens on May 09, 2016, 02:28:57 AM
I recall from an earlier post that Penn attributed the problem to a batch of ratchets that were badly dished from being stamped on a dull die.  It looks like that ratchet has a pretty bad dish, which may affect how the dogs engage.  

Along with new bridge this reel wil have a new ratchet too, new dogs and springs, will see if Scotts carry new ones in perfect shape.

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Dont get your hopes up regarding the ratchet. The ones I've received from Scott's are bowed from being stamped.

Dominick

Wayne check the subject matter above.   Sheesh... ::)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

El Pescador

Quote from: Dominick on May 09, 2016, 11:46:17 PM
Wayne check the subject matter above.   Sheesh... ::)  Dominick

Happy now????? ;D

Next time together, wine is on YOU!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Rivverrat

Wayne check the subject matter above.   Sheesh... ::)  Dominick
Well, what subject & exactly what did Wayne find out ?

El Pescador

Quote from: Rivverrat on May 10, 2016, 12:31:04 AM
Wayne check the subject matter above.   Sheesh... ::)  Dominick
Well, what subject & exactly what did Wayne find out ?

Rivverrat,

What Wayne found out was he was moving too fast, and put a post for Flexx rap on this thread and not the thread where Aiala asked her question re: Finger wrap tape.

All is now calm!  I hear my Mother's voice telling me, as a 10 year old boy, "Wayne, Slow Down!"

Wayne

Rivverrat

OH....I wanted to be sure I was not coming across wrong or slighting Scott's in any way. I use them pretty much exclusively for all my new parts & find them to be a wealth of information.  I feel better now...Jeff

El Pescador

anglingarchitect

The machining nor material selection match up very well between the ratchet and dogs.
I think Sal nailed it early, the photos tell the story, somebody who loves these reels needs to solve this for the Penn Reel Heads of AT.

Rivverrat

Steelfish, is your friend using scales to set his drag?
The brass sleeve is showing evidence of being fished well above 20 lbs. of drag. Those marks on the sleeve are the washers cutting into the sleeve. Where the ratchet rides on the sleeve is showing evidence also. I've not witnessed this happening on this reel when fished at or below the 20 lb. level. Not when everything else is within specs. Only other scenario I'm aware of that can cause this at these drag settings is throwing the lever forward on a hard running fish.

I would also like to state I am in no way claiming to be an expert on this stuff. I just have an intense infatuation with the river I fish & the gear I use. I am very thankful to have found this sight & be able to share & learn from those who suffer the same malady....Jeff  

handi2

Yesterday I pre serviced a US113N. Same as we know.

The reel was getting only 20lbs on the scale with the reel rated at 27lbs.

The bellvilles were rubbing the side plate at 20lbs. I shimmed on top of the bearing and now get 30lbs.

After a year I guess we will see what happens to the AR system.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on May 10, 2016, 03:35:12 PM
Steelfish, is your friend using scales to set his drag?
...Jeff  

Jeff, nop scale is used to set the drag, theses local fishing guides set the drag "feeling it" pulling the line off the reel, I have never tested what they claim to set the drag manually, tho.
but normally all senators 4/0, 6/0 and the Baja are used to go after the big groupers on the Baja reefs, not surprise that they are used above 20#
no wonder why he fried the dogs and bridge studs
mine it been set on a scale on 15-17# drag when the reel is on rod and using a scale at the end of the line.

Quote from: handi2 on May 10, 2016, 03:56:26 PM
Yesterday I pre serviced a US113N. Same as we know.

The reel was getting only 20lbs on the scale with the reel rated at 27lbs.

The bellvilles were rubbing the side plate at 20lbs. I shimmed on top of the bearing and now get 30lbs.

After a year I guess we will see what happens to the AR system.

Nice finding on the shim Keith
Can you tell what did you used to shim on top of the bearing?
this might help a lot this reels used above 20#

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

All of the new US113 that Ive seen, which isn't many, will rub on the side plate when the drag is pushed beyond 20 lbs. Careful fishing this reel as it comes at 30 lbs. steady use at this setting or slightly above will bring the need for parts.      Probably sooner than later.