Cleaning bearings - White spirits

Started by bgreen, July 03, 2016, 07:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgreen

Just wondering when cleaning bearings prior to greasing.... How long should you leave to soak in white spirits....is there a desirable time....minimum and maximum recommend times? Thanks

alantani

carb cleaner.  some products are a little too flammable.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bgreen

Ok Alan so with carb cleaner.. After you spray into the bearing, even if shields still in place...how long before blowing out with compressed air? Thanks

sdlehr

Quote from: alantani on July 03, 2016, 07:41:41 AM
carb cleaner.  some products are a little too flammable.
I thought carb cleaner was ether-based. It doesn't get more flammable than that. I've started using Naphtha with better results and easier cleanup than mineral spirits.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

There are different approaches to cleaning bearings -- depending on the time you have, system you are comfortable with, desired effectiveness, etc.

I grew up around automotive shops where the old timers always used kerosene parts washers -- and I still have one of those -- but that kerosene is not for my inside upstairs shop -- plus it is oily, and the odor stays around.

I generally try to pop or just remove one or both shields -- if I ruin a shield it still works well without one or both -- the Marine Yamaha grease I generally use 90% of the time is a great protector and a cheap, effective product.

Some of the little Newell or ABU bearings are a little different -- but I do not remove the shields on those.

Generally with most bearings -- drop them in a pimento jar with a lid -- with a little lacquer thinner.  Let it set for a few minutes while I complete the cleaning of the other reel parts.  Some guys use lighter fluid -- but lacquer thinner works well for me, evaporates quickly to nothing, and is only about $15 a gallon.  Fancy stuff is great, but for me, any additional cost has to be passed on to the client -- or I generally end up eating it.  You can quickly price yourself out of the market -- or end up working for free.  So I try to keep costs down.  Effectiveness and swiftness are what works for me.

Swish it around a little -- soak in clear water -- dry with a blow dryer -- not compressed air.

It may look cool to see a bearing spin at high speed when cleaning and drying -- but more damage can be done in 45 seconds with a dry bearing spinning at high speed -- then a lifetime of fishing.

All you guys are going to laugh -- but I used to use an old hand-held dryer -- but for production work, it became too slow, and required extra time, a cord hanging around, an extra hand...

So I went to a wall mounted hand dryer that is automatic sensing.

$100 at Amazon -- works as well as $300 - $400 units, or better -- diffused air flow -- quick, effective, done...

Likely not for everyone -- but works great and quick for me, with no bearing damage or odors hanging around.

Pack your bearings as soon as they are dry -- less than a minute -- re-install and complete the assembly.

Just my style and opinions.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on July 03, 2016, 02:05:16 PM
It may look cool to see a bearing spin at high speed when cleaning and drying -- but more damage can be done in 45 seconds with a dry bearing spinning at high speed -- then a lifetime of fishing.

Very good point! I've seen so many folks mention spin drying bearings with a compressor...this can lead to big trouble if not finessed.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

I've switched to using naphtha for just about everything too Sid.  It's just more comfortable to work with knowing that it will not harm any of the parts or finishes and is safer for me. 
-steve

sdlehr

Quote from: oc1 on July 03, 2016, 09:13:58 PM
I've switched to using naphtha for just about everything too Sid.  It's just more comfortable to work with knowing that it will not harm any of the parts or finishes and is safer for me. 
-steve
I've been careful not to expose side plates or handle knobs to Naphtha for fear of some kind of penetration or damage. Shoot, I once had a handle knob absorb one of the chemicals that colors one of my cleaning solutions and the knob changed to a deep red color, almost maroon. In reality I liked it better after the color change, but I didn't like altering it from original stock color. But now it's probably a one of a kind color.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector