sealine 50h

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

Threeweight, the earlier reels with grey frames had a main gear with a ring on the bottom and need a double stack of 114 washers on the bottom to clear the ridge. Later reels with black frames do not have that ridge and only need a single washer on the bottom. New replacement main gears all come without the ridge on all sizes of Sealines. The brass sleeves are quite strong & will take a lot of beating before they start to round off. Stainless replacements are on the drawing boards from members here. I hope I covered it all, if not we are here for your questions.     Rudy

Threeweight

Thanks, Rudy.  All three of my 50h's are a dull blackish, or very dark gray, frame, and all had the small lip on the inside of the brass gear.  I pulled them all back apart tonight and doubled up on the bottom drag washer's, just in case.

Want to thank Alan and everyone on this site, I have used it many times over the years to serevice my Garcia Ambassadors, Shimano Tekotas, Penn 330's and 345's, etc...  I am just getting into tuna fishing with my own boat, and discovered the Daiwa 50h's thanks to Alan's original write up, and all the great comments and feedback about them.  I have about $80 into 4 reels (3 50h and done 40HSD), and another $25 in drag washers... I shudder to think what it would cost to buy 4 new reels of comparable construction! 

thorhammer

Pushing six bills.....nice score.

ReelFishingProblems

fixing up an old 50H and putting the 4 HT-100s (1 under the gear) in it. Using it for kayak fishing for rockfish, lingcod, cabezon. What line style and weight would be best for this setup?

Thanks everyone,

Nick,
Monterey, Ca

Porthos

Original factory specs says that the 300H/350H has 17.6 lbs drag. The 50H uses the SAME drag stack. With the 1/3 rule, 16.67 lbs would be the right setting for 50lb test. Since line running thru your rod guides under load imparts another 1-2 lbs of drag, setting the drag from top of spool to 14-15lbs would put you into the ballpark for 50lbs test.

50lb braid was what I had on my 50H. Could do 20, 25, 30, 40, and 50 lbs mono top shots.

If you went with 65lb braid and 1/4 rule, then you could do a 60lbs max top shot and get that much more abrasion resistance on the tag end. BUT with 60lbs on the tag end, could you EASILY break off the top shot from your kayak if you snagged bottom? May need to tie a 25 or 30lb break-off to your sinker...

ReelFishingProblems

Thanks for the good advice, I think I'll put 50lb braid/ 30lb mono. I never thought about bad snags before, guess that'll be fun.

coores14

I think I saw somewhere that the 250H uses the same drag stack as the 50H. Can anyone confirm? I just received a 250h that needs new drags and not sure which set I need to buy. No place lists the 250h in their carbon fiber specs.

Rancanfish

If you are referring to the SMF250H (Magforce), I'm pretty sure they do match. My notes say 30SH, 50H, 300H, 350H, SMF 170H, & SMF 250H. (#375-9903) 

If you are referring to the all graphite SL250H I'd vote no. (Part#375-9905)

You could always call Daiwa direct:  800-736-4653

Hope that helps.

Edit: Alan uses the drags for Penn 114 (for 114 black reel) I believe.

EDITED again: Added part numbers above, so note different #'s.  Drags and metal washers will be different in the two reels
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Porthos

Measure I.D. and O.D. of existing SL250H washers. Then go to smoothdrag.com and find a match. If no exact match, get ones that only require grinding down of the O.D. Ones that need BOTH I.D. and O.D. are a bigger hassle though doable.

coores14

thanks guys. yeah I am talking about the SL250H. I'll check the measurements and report back.

Hamachi

Penn 6-114 (3 needed) 6-855 (1 under gear) same as the 50h. For your sl250h coores14

Warren
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Rancanfish

You sure?  Why different part #'s 50h and sl250h?

It fits the SMF250h but the SL?

If you are positive I'll accept your experience, but I hate to steer him down the wrong path.

I think measurements are his best bet like Wai said. JMHO

Hamachi

Well on page 19 in this section, C Low says it's the same. From 2011. Sorry for the misinformation if it's wrong, maybe we need to archive the information here and remove what is wrong.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

handi2

For the SLOSH20 the Drag washer size is 20mm OD and 8mm ID for a tight fit. 0.76mm material. The top drag washer can be 1mm but I know all 0.76 works fine.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rancanfish

A Slosh now, lol?

Warren, don't be sorry, you may be right.  C Low seems pretty sure of what he did.

I'm still confused by the different parts #'s.  Maybe he sanded them to fit?

Now it's back on coores14, lol.  Come on, settle this for us!   ;)