factory glued drag washer/brake pad in MXJ 5.8?

Started by jlezama, April 11, 2013, 05:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlezama

Hi guys
         I just finished servicing my avet mxj and when trying to remove the carbon fiber brake pad, it was impossible! (at least without messing it up). Reel was actually pretty clean (I usually rinse and dry immediately after use) so all I ended up doing was put a light coat of grease on top of the pad and the standard cleaning/greasing/
Anyone noticed this before?
Thanks
Juan

jlezama

Ha! Nevermind just saw another post... why would they glue it on?!
Juan

Bryan Young

Juan,

The theory was to eliminate moisture from getting under the drag washer.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jlezama

jlezama

alantani

as long as you slather a whole bunch of grease on the drag, then rub off the excess, it will work fine.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

exp2000

I don't often get Avets but as fate would have it, three came in this last week.

The bearings in these are pretty crappy. Despite having rubber seals, it appears that water still manages to get past some.

One was an MXJ 2-speed with a glued drag washer which had lost adhesion.

I was wondering what glue I should use to re-bond it to the spool?
~

handi2

And the metal inside the rubber seals is magnetic.

Alan has a good write up on how to adhere a new drag washer on with epoxy. I've used high temperature spray adhesive. The washer must be perfectly flat when gluing back on using something something heavy to apply pressure. I used a spool and quick clamps.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

akfish

Avet glued the drag washer because people didn't maintain there reels and water got under the drag washer. I actually like it better this way because I saw first hand what a mess it made the old way. Avet made it easier by selling new spools with the drag washer already glued for a good price. Check out the Avet website to see what you'd pay to get one. For me, that's usually a better option that cleaning the old spool and wash, gluing it, etc.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mike1010

FWIW, as a hobbyist who has been working on reels for only a couple of years, I was initially intimated by the thought of replacing the glued drag washer on an Avet reel.  Once I got around to it, though, it was easy.