OLDEST Accurate Boss 870 6 bearings TwinDrag schematic needed

Started by stbrown, February 08, 2012, 02:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stbrown

Hi Folks;
   I am new to this website and want to thank you Alan Tani for helping me get on and the advice you have given so far! I am in Maine and go fishing for Cod, Haddock, Pollack, Hake, Cusk, Redfish, Wolfish ( protected now ), Monkfish and whenever a Tuna or Shark happens on the line.  I need a schematic for the above mentioned reel. Thanks for the forum and hope to help others as well.   Steve Brown

stbrown

Thanks for the welcome!  That link doesn't work. I also tried pasting the link in my IE 9 url line...same error message.
I was able to go the website and see all the schematics available and it doesn't appear to be there. This is what I've come up against on every website I've tried.  maybe the reel was so early in Accurate's production they lost the schematics.  I emailed them and they were "not able" to find the schematic as well.  Maybe a phone call to an Accurate retired employee might be necessary?  ;)

Steve

Bryan Young

The reel schematic should be similar to http://www.accuratefishing.com/pdfs/BOSS_IPB.pdf.

The main difference between the older bosses and the new one is that they older reels do not have that cast control knob in the frame (far bottom left in the schematics.  The 6 bearings are frame, 2 spool bearings, 2 anti-reverse roller bearings, and one in the tension cam. 

When in doupt, take pictures when you are taking a reel apart so that you know how the reel looked so that you can put it back together.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

stbrown

Thanks Bryan;

That schematic does appear to be the closest I can get....Alan also sent that one along.
Taking pictures while one takes a reel apart just seems to make too much sense for us old guys;
I was able to break it down, clean, oil, lube AND get it back together properly ( I hope).
Not knowing for sure what is suppose to be in there and in what order, is my concern.  Alan also emailed me and said that if the reel appears to work fine now that I've reassembled it, it probably isn't missing any parts and I have reassembled it properly.

Steve

redsetta

Well done Steve and welcome aboard.
Haven't seen a twin-drag Boss in NZ yet, but look forward to having one come through the workshop.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

I love working on Accurates.  Not difficult reels...well, correction, just replaced 2 anti-reverse bearing...well, Alan acutally did it for me.  What a pain.  Pressing out old ones and pressing in new ones.  Other than that, easy to work on reels.  Sleeve spool bearing and be amazed on the free spool.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Piskada

I also have that first production of the 870, the ratio was 4:1. The most annoying thing from this old reel was actually the lever drag, the drag quadrant was very short, what I mean is the range of the lever drag. So it was like either on or off. I called Matt Harper and he sent me a replacement right side plate, complete with the gears. I asked for a 6:1 ratio. It was all in there, even the drag cam was supplied and of course the pinion gear. Oh, even a longer handle arm was also included.
Later I also bought the cage with the cast control. Practically everything is new, next to the spool and the old clicker system :D
Unfortunately I also don't have the schematics diagram of this old 870. The number of bearings is the same, but the old one has smaller o/d anti reverse bearings. Clicker system is also different, old one still uses the Platinum style clicker, not making so much noise as the new plastic clicker. Mainly, very few plastic parts on the old one. You can easily use the newer version's schematic for servicing the old 870. But if you plan to use it a lot, do consider to change the side plate with the wider drag range. It is a lot easier to use and looks also nicer.

SantaBarbarian

So I'm taking apart an old Boss 870 to service it for a friend. The reel has poor free spool so I am taking it apart and can't separate the spool from the right side plate. I have loosened the cam tension knob but the spool shaft will not separate. Is there something I'm missing. or is there some corrosion holding the shaft preventing it from sliding out.

Many thanks for any info on this,
Gary

alantani

yup, there's a c-clip, but sometimes you still have to tap it out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishnmike

Old post but I just bought an 870 Mag 2-speed and was looking on here for background info. Looked at the non working link to schematics and noted that it seem strange that a site for schematics would start with "hematics" so I changed it, and wahlaw, it works.

http://schematics.planetseafishing.com/downloads/accurate/mutliplier/magnum-boss-series/accurate-magnum-boss-197m.pdf