Penn 285 question.

Started by Oldgoat, October 22, 2016, 06:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldgoat

Greetings. I found a 285 while digging around in a box of darkroom stuff. Have been reading this fine site and browsing at Scott's I think that I have learned that some 285s came with HT-100 drag washers?

I think this is a pretty new one because I think I bought it new and used it once.

Can someone tell if this would have come with HT-100 drag?

akfish

The last few years did come with HT-100 carbon fiber drag washers. Those will be fine -- but you'll get a smoother drag if you grease the washers with Cal's Drag Grease.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bill B

OG, as Akfish stated the later, sometime after 1988 have carbon fiber, the only way to know for sure is to open it up and check, these are really easy to open up.  I would suggest opening it up and checking, if you run into any problems during re-assembly we are here to help....where areyou located, maybe someone is near enough to stop by and help.  Im in West Sacramento......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Oldgoat

Thank you guys. I will open it up at some point and either grease the stack or follow one of the tutorials to put carbon in.

Tarfu, I am presently in eastern Washington. I may be going back to southern Oregon in a while.  ;D

56 years of perpetual motion.