Yesterdays King Troll Results.

Started by gstours, May 17, 2016, 04:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

The weather was to be sunny, with some afternoon breeze where I live.  As I,ve been working on a soon to be posted modified hotrod mooching reel that was complete enough to test I was thinking thats reason enough to go fishing.

This reel is similar to an earlier one that I have been using for a few years. It has a spool dia of 5.5 inches, a large diameter carbon fiber drag. 2 spool bearings and one bearing on the drag disk hub.  the parts inside are sst. and its all aluminum.   I put the rubber like handles on but may swap them out later when time permits. 

The sunny skys made for some impressive scenery, and the water was calm. 

we trolled the shore line areas fishing for feeding King Salmon

This shot is with the new Nikon 3200 w 18-300 image stabilized lens.  This camera is super easy to use.  Even for me!
Afternoon came with still no bites?  So we continued with fading confidence...... and then there it was the serious strike you dream of.

I got the first one that day,  It was a nice one that threw a temper tantrum,  I was using a Diawa 10-6 xh DSX rod with mooching rod mods to the handles and reel seat.  It worked really well, as did the new reel.  I was pleased with the new set-up and a great test fish as well.   This was a real slab,  and we welcomed it on board with grins
So we went back to fishing and a few hours passed then as before, It was wake up!  Fish On!!!!
I took a friend that caught a similar one last weekend.  So I guess I,ll post both of them.  Heres yesterdays fish.

and heres the one he caught while on my boat last weekend.  He was really happy as well.

It was reel fun, to get out there in a place where you may fish all day and never see another person.  only scenery and wild animals in there home,  we are the visitors.

Some time soon I hope to post picture of the how I modified my new reel showing the steps I took.      gst.

You never know whats around the corner it seems!   Enjoy!  gst.

Tightlines667

Great photos and report Gary!

That new camera of yours appears to be working quite well.  Better make sure you get your money's worth and keep taking (and posting) pictures of your adventures.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Marcq

Wow  8)
I like the star-drag on the reel  :) Sure would be easier to tighten the drag

Marc..

whalebreath

Looking forward to hearing about the new reel never saw a moocher with a star drag like that before-nice fish too!

HOLEINTHEWATER