Is this Tiburon frame P40w 113h salvageable?

Started by steelfish, May 19, 2016, 11:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I would bead blast it, patch the pits and have it powder coated but the water cutter's primary business is powder coating and he trades rod and reel work for powder coating.  His employee dropped a hard to find spool for my "Grouper Special" and bent it though.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Power coating is a nice option, too bad its really hard to find a good shop for powercoating That dont charge AM arm for small Jobs.
But Im really considering it, but first I have to sand it and patch it, Then find a place for powercoating it red candy Apple.
The Baja Guy

jurelometer

If you plan to powder coat it, there are some issues to consider with the filler:

Conductivity -  when the powder is applied, it is drawn  to the part by electrostatic charge.  One lead goes on the spray gun, the other on the part.  So a  layer of nonconductive epoxy may cause a bare spot or uneven finish.

Temp -  powder coating requires 350-400F for 10-20 minutes (varies by supplier/color) - so the filler has to be able to handle this temp without degrading or offgassing, releasing trapped bubbles of air, etc.

I haven't tried powder coating over filler, so I cannot offer any firsthand experience, but from what I have read certain versions of JBweld can work (probably something high temp with metal filler), and there are some specialized fillers - brands mentioned are metal2metal and lab-metal.   

There are also some issues around powder coating over anodized,  it can be done, but there can be uneven results.   So there is a lot of prep involved.   Also make sure that all threaded holes are plugged before coating. 
Retapping paint filled 5-40 holes is a pain. You will probably need a two coat finish to get even color.

Unless this exercise is for the learning/challenge,   you may want to go with JBweld and some touch-up paint, or a new frame.

-J

steelfish

Quote from: jurelometer on May 20, 2016, 05:16:44 PM
Unless this exercise is for the learning/challenge,   you may want to go with JBweld and some touch-up paint, or a new frame.

nop, this is not for the fun or learning process but just to make it look bit better, since this reel is usable as is with just some red nail polish touch ups, I just want to save it from the cancer corrosion proccess, then leave it on the shelf or use it as loaner reel, I never use reels this big, for my waters my big reels are the Baja Special and the fathom 40LD2 and are more than enough.

well thanks for your comments, seems that it will be a personal project, so, clean it with destilled water, I will also use the old method of Bakind soda and lemon juice to get all the corrosion out from the small cracks, then JB weld on 3-4 thin layers, sand it and find a matching red candy apple enamel spray paint and few coats of clear coat over the paint, in that case if get scratch it the paint below will be still red  ;) , Im confident on using spray paint so, not too worry on that part.

have few reel services on the pending list to finish, it will take few weeks to have this frame done.
thanks a lot for your input guys.

The Baja Guy

oc1

A good cleaning and oiling will stop the corrosion.  Everything after that is cosmetic.  The more you do the more it is going to look like someone tried to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.  That never works.  Its an honest reel with honest wear and a beautiful patina.  Embrace it and be proud of the way it looks.
-steve

steelfish

Quote from: oc1 on May 20, 2016, 06:42:50 PM
A good cleaning and oiling will stop the corrosion.  Everything after that is cosmetic.  The more you do the more it is going to look like someone tried to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.  That never works.  Its an honest reel with honest wear and a beautiful patina.  Embrace it and be proud of the way it looks.
-steve

you know, I made this thread because at the beginning I was thinking the same whe I saw it and bought it (I actually havent made my mind yet on what to do LOL, I will wait until taking the reel into the working table in few weeks).

buy my initial plan was to use the less refill materail for the really uggly spots, get a scratch touch up car paint mini can in red and cover the covered uggly spots, leave the rest of the reel as is and called a day.

the parts that dont have a sign of corrosion looks really nice and the paint look shiny with a deep color, ready to take any boat scratches
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

clean out the corrosion. JB weld as noted. I will send the number of the automotive paint pen I use for Penn anniversary spools, it matches very nicely. this wont take you but a couple hours most of which will be in fairing off the JB once it sets.

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on May 20, 2016, 08:18:06 PM
clean out the corrosion. JB weld as noted. I will send the number of the automotive paint pen I use for Penn anniversary spools, it matches very nicely. this wont take you but a couple hours most of which will be in fairing off the JB once it sets.

Cool, compa thats nice from tour part

hopefully I can find the color code locally
The Baja Guy

Rancanfish

Share the darn paint pen #.  I have anniversary spools!   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

thorhammer

Here you go

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on May 23, 2016, 01:26:08 PM
Here you go

thanks  John for the color number for my project.

with this touch-up paint, this seems the easier and better route, fill the damaged area, sand it as required and touch up paint only where needed leaving the normal wear and tear marks as is.

those spools looks really nicely painted, It didnt show the brush marks
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

PM your address I'll send you a pen to try.  Not perfect for a shelf queen but ok if you are actually fishing it.  I think I did two or three applications to cover bare aluminum. 

John

steelfish

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.