Is this Tiburon frame P40w 113h salvageable?

Started by steelfish, May 19, 2016, 11:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, it seems that a little bit of TLC, paint, JB-weld and help from AT guys did the trick, this frame is ready to get a big one.

thanks a lot guys for your tips and special thanks to John for the red paint-pen, really similar color to the one on the tiburon Frame.

sorry for the tons of pics but I really liked the finished product after the bodyshop job on the frame.

frame with JB-weld on the uggly corroded parts already sanded

bottom only needed some sanding and 2-3 layers of paint

few overall sights of the frame

and last, some comparative pictures

The ugliest corroded part, it doesnt look factory restored but looks 3x better than how it was before, isnt it?

a dab of JB-weld on some parts and 2-3 layer of just paint on others made the change

same here

this is how it looks (if you check it by the ugliest part) all finished and ready to fish (well, except by the line)

The Baja Guy

Tightlines667

Great work there!

That turned out really nice.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

thorhammer

Hey Alex, great job! I was wondering if you had gotten to it yet. Shelf queen, maybe not but it looks ready get blood onnit which is why it really exosts. NIce work and tight lines!

John

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on June 28, 2016, 02:30:46 AM
..Shelf queen, maybe not ..

John

It might be a shelf queen, not because of the beauty on it but because I have the Baja Special and Fathom 40 LD2 and these 3 reels compite on the same line rating.
I Will save this reel for the next time fishing on the golden reef, which is at 350-450ft deep.
It has newell gears 4:1 and keta octagon adapter
The Baja Guy

rippin_lips

Have any of you had issues using JB weld on aluminum? I've been advised against it due to the steel in JB weld and an alternative for use on aluminum is called water weld I think.

David Hall

Nothing wrong with that repair job at all, great match on the paint.  I have to go back through here and get that paint code.

Okay I went back through the thread, I enlarged the picture of the Pint Pen but all my eyes can make out is Ford.
Can you tell me the paint code on that thing.
thanks

steelfish

David,

code is  Ford Red fire pearl  AFM 0379

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

sdlehr

Quote from: rippin_lips on July 06, 2016, 07:56:02 PM
Have any of you had issues using JB weld on aluminum? I've been advised against it due to the steel in JB weld and an alternative for use on aluminum is called water weld I think.
I just picked up some JB Weld to repair an aluminum spool for Rudy. I used the regular stuff, but ran across water weld. It's like a putty that you apply and shape, then immerse in water and it hardens. When my JB Weld on Rudy's spool fails I'll use water weld next. I just didn't like the sounds of how it was used as compared to a two-part epoxy type of application. And the JB Weld dried to almost the exact color of the anodizing on the aluminum making the repairs hard to detect.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

oc1

The advantage of water weld is that it hardens under water.  But, it might not be the best for getting a good bond. 

There are all sorts of thickeners for epoxy resin.  You can add something like Cab-O-Sil to get any consistency you want (from bisque to bubblegum).  You could add some glass or carbon fiber to get more strength.  Some additives make the hardened surface easier to sand.  You could mix in aluminum powder or shavings if you wanted but I'm not sure what the advantage would be.  You can use several different additives without cross-reaction.

-steve