Rods

Started by Keta, May 20, 2016, 07:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Time to start thinking about what to bring.  Some of us do not have all of the rigs that we should bring and some of us have spares.  I can bring a few rigs to loan out if I know what is needed.  Anyone else?

I am currently planning on bringing several 25#-30#, even some spinners  :D, with one 40# and one 60#, Penn, Shimano and Avet.  I might bump up if BFT are a possibility.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Porthos

Bringing the 2015 line-up with a few replacements:

Conventional:
1. Daiwa 30H (3+1 CF stack, 65lb braid main)
2. Daiwa 300H (3+1 CF stack, 65lb braid main)
3. Daiwa 400H (3+1 CF stack, 65lb braid main)
4. Daiwa 400H (5+1 CF stack, 80lb braid main)
5. Daiwa 600H (5+1 CF stack, 100lb braid main "just-in-case" reel);
6. Daiwa 600H (5+1 CF stack, 100lb braid main "just-in-case" reel);
7. Maroon Penn Monofil 27 (50lb braid main)

Spinners:
1. Fin Nor FST60 (40lb braid main)
2. Penn 760L (50lb braid main)
3. Fin Nor LT100 (80lb braid main)
4. Fin Nor LT100 (100lb braid main)

Conventional rods:
1. Okuma CT-T-601M
2. Okuma CT-T-601MH
3. Okuma  CT-C-661MH
4. Okuma CT-T-561H
5. Okuma BG-T-601M-1
6. Daiwa VIP6455XXH

Spin rods
1. Quantum BROS70M
2. Daiwa STW70MHS
3. Tsunami TSTBS-J 701XH
4. Daiwa STJ70XHFS

Otherwise, haven't given it much thought... ;)

MarkT

This is still planned as an inshore trip with a possible shot at tuna on the way down and or back right? I don't need to prepare for an offshore Tuna trip? Not that I can't take a dozen rigs or so but I was thinking 6 -8.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Dominick

Hey Porthos I did not see the kitchen sink on your list.  ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

I just packed up 12 rods for my 8-day... but only 1 spinner.  ;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Porthos

Quote from: Dominick on May 20, 2016, 10:01:25 PM

Lee referenced "rods" and also "rigs"; no mention of the plumbing category. But if you must know, the sink is in a large duffel bag next to the tackle and jigs boxes...

swill88

The Eclipse out of San Diego report for an overnighter 5/17:

We returned late on our overnight trip last night after sitting on a big school of big bluefin for almost 4 hours. Big blowouts left and right and off the bow, they wanted to stick. This fish looked to be in the 60 to 100 pound range until we hooked 10 of them mostly on the heavy jig down as deep as 400 ft. Two were spooled and lost quickly as the others continued to fight back hard and broke through our 60 pound setups. The bigger models had decided they were going to actually bite and stick around the boat. All but one were lost as the school disappeared. Moral of the story... have your Heavy gear ready!!

I was going to bring 3 setups for my 1.5 day trip.  Now.... 6, 7?

I know this is not SOA trip but... it's relevant.

alantani

we have 5 days on the water.  mike keating decides where we go.  who knows, we might be bobbing around on open water for 5 days. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Looks like I will be bringing a Avet EX 4/0 and an EX 30 on 80# rods.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on May 20, 2016, 10:01:25 PM

Now that's funny ;D ;D ;D I don't care who you are!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Yup!...good one Dominick  ;D

You know, the one that caught my interest out of the bunch, was that 27 ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

tgorman

you all make me feel better.

Going on 2.5 day on Pacific Voyager with the group on Bloody Decks this weekend

And was trying to limit myself to 6  ???

20#  P235-F   on a 7'6" ugly stick.    (spare reel in bag is my  Tiburon Jigmaster  my 20-25# reel)
30#  Torium  20 with Dawn's new drags and handle I finished last night.  Just need some locktite to finish.
       I put this on an old custom wrapped eglass rod that I love.
30#  Avet MXL 6/4    on a Fenwick eglass custom
40#  Diawa 40H  with all updated drags, lug harness and on a old GS rod 30-80# and will use for bait for BFT
40#  Diawa 50H  on Seeker 9ft for my Iron. 
60#  Diawa 600H - Bryans drags and this is going on a roller guided boat rod.  CalStar XH

Was debating on the spinner;  I have a nice Raw II 50 with a Shimanno rod.  Probably toss in.

But trying to keep the load down..  LOL

I will toss the 600H in the bag but not take a rod with it.  Just in case the 600H gets blown up by a cow BFT

Not bringing all my feathers and trolling sh$t  use the boat.

Trying to keep the tackle simple too.  Hooks, sinkers and 2 boxes of assorted jigs, surface, flatfalls etc etc.
Got it setup in a milkcrate with two rod holders and bungie cord.

It is hard to leave a rig at home! LOL
I have 3 4/0's not making the cut.  My old standby 4/0 is staying at home.  To me.. the Torium and Avet can handle 30-40#
and if I need 50-60#  The diawa 400H is a tougher reel and better drag with Bryans 7+1.. I have well over 20#'s of drag
and dont want much more.

IF the fish get that big.. I want something with a harness and lugs..  My uncle calls it cheating.. By back calls it smart!

I just hope we have half as good of fishing as we had a few weeks ago. We caught that wide open YT on the lower finger
and I hooked 12 and landed 11 for the day. Doesn't get better than that.  And best part is 9 of the 11 were on jigs  ;D
That is the best fishing..  a YT on a jig is the best

I wish I could justify an Avet HX 2 speed or even an Shimano TLD 30 II.
Would much rater fish those for the BFT.. than the 600H single.. but I think I will manage!
Team work makes the dream work!

MarkT

I was on the Pac Voyager three weeks ago for a 1 1/2 YT trip and I'm on the Pac Voyager next weekend for a 2 1/2 day.  This is the 3rd year in a row for me on both these trips.  I'm thinking rigs with 25-30-40-40-50 plus a spinner for poppers/stick baits and either a Lexa 400 or TranX for Megabaits. One of my 40#'ers has an Accurate Valiant 300 for Flat Falls. Every reel has spectra with a top shot or leader of mono.

Big Tim

I'm so confused  ;D Luckily Mark and my friend Patrick from Fisherman's Warehouse are loaning 2 Avet HX 5/2's..I may pick up an extra rod?
BT

MarkT

What type of rod are thinking about? My son's friends say I could open a tackle store just using my stuff!  I have a Seeker 6465H or G6470H that are great for 50#.