Rods

Started by Keta, May 20, 2016, 07:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

Quote from: tgorman on May 22, 2016, 12:52:38 AM
Quote from: MarkT on May 21, 2016, 08:10:15 PM
Todd, you want me to bring a JX or HX Raptor with 50# for you to use? I have a TLD20II with 50# and a TLD30II with 60# too. All backed by spectra.

That would be awesome.  The HX or either of the TLDS would be perfect.   
The only thing missing in my arsenal is a bigger 2 speed.

I want something with LUGS if the fish get that bid.  I have my Diawa 400H ready.. but it is not 2 speed.
I've got a rod for it Custom wrapped  G.S. 660 XH

I'll bring the HX raptor. It has lugs.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

stoked4fishin

Hi Mark
What type of 80# braid is on your HX Raptor?  I use Seaguar Threadlock, and only get ~450yds of 80#.  I then run ~25-50ft of 60-100# mono topshot.

RiverAngler

All of you are making me jealous! I wanna go with you! Oh well, maybe next time.
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

MarkT

Quote from: stoked4fishin on May 22, 2016, 04:15:03 AM
Hi Mark
What type of 80# braid is on your HX Raptor?  I use Seaguar Threadlock, and only get ~450yds of 80#.  I then run ~25-50ft of 60-100# mono topshot.
Izor solid. 500yds with a 100' topshot.

tgorman

Quote from: MarkT on May 22, 2016, 01:41:23 AM
Quote from: tgorman on May 22, 2016, 12:52:38 AM
Quote from: MarkT on May 21, 2016, 08:10:15 PM
Todd, you want me to bring a JX or HX Raptor with 50# for you to use? I have a TLD20II with 50# and a TLD30II with 60# too. All backed by spectra.

That would be awesome.  The HX or either of the TLDS would be perfect.   
The only thing missing in my arsenal is a bigger 2 speed.

I want something with LUGS if the fish get that bid.  I have my Diawa 400H ready.. but it is not 2 speed.
I've got a rod for it Custom wrapped  G.S. 660 XH

Thanks! That is my next reel.   Been debating Talica 25II.  But so far been very impressed with my MXL

I'll bring the HX raptor. It has lugs.
Team work makes the dream work!

SoCalAngler

You guys crack me up, four rods should all you need. A 20 lbs setup for a picky bite, 25-30 for the stuff most likely you will see, a 40 lb setup and that's pushing it early on in the season and maybe some trolling gear 50 to 60 lb gear.

I say bring all the gear you want, but most people will not fish it, unless they don't have the stuff needed.

Lets look at the past for many years. June Albacore, its been like for ever since we have seen these. The BFT have already started to change to YFT but that's not a bad thing .

The people that bring more gear than they use are are either are trying to loan it out so they look cool, or don't know how to fish what they have got.  Step away from these people.

Fish what you brought, slay those fish and laugh at the guy trying to hand you gear he cant fish.

Keta

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 23, 2016, 03:31:12 AM
You guys crack me up, four rods should all you need. A 20 lbs setup for a picky bite, 25-30 for the stuff most likely you will see, a 40 lb setup and that's pushing it early on in the season and maybe some trolling gear 50 to 60 lb gear.

I say bring all the gear you want, but most people will not fish it, unless they don't have the stuff needed.

Lets look at the past for many years. June Albacore, its been like for ever since we have seen these. The BFT have already started to change to YFT but that's not a bad thing .

The people that bring more gear than they use are are either are trying to loan it out so they look cool, or don't know how to fish what they have got.  Step away from these people.

Fish what you brought, slay those fish and laugh at the guy trying to hand you gear he cant fish.

I brought extra rods in 2014 and the extra were loaned out, not to look cool but to help those that did not have the gear.  The same for several other generous people on the 2014 trip.  If it wasn't for my rods Jimmer would not have done so well and I do know how to fish my gear, I was fishing 25# and only lost 1 fish...to a sealion.   WTH is your problem?  I like to use different rods just because I can, like the Phoenix Megladon I got for albacore up here but should work for YT.  

Here's me not knowing how to fish my SDS, FYI, one of 5 cows.

This one kicked my butt,

Must have been lucky here, the wahoo jumped into the boat,

Things happen to gear,

Got lucky again,

Another Wahoo jumped into the boat,

Got lucky again and landed this WSB with a broken hand,

Salmon are stupid too, caught using 12#.

Silly salmon,

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Porthos

Lee,

Take the high road--do not succumb to the Dark Side. Focus only on the trolling that's done from the stern of a boat.

MarkT

You know that they say, I'd rather be lucky than good and luck is where preparation meets opportunity!

Tightlines667

I never grow tired of those pictures Lee.  Love the one of the wahoo stacked like cord wood in the snow.  Reminds me of growing up.

I grew up a troller, but a good fishermen should have plenty of tools, and techniques in his arsenal.  Every kind of fishing requires some degree of flexibility if you want to stay productive.  
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

stoked4fishin

Thanks Mark
Do you know if hollow spectra is "typically" thicker than the corresponding solid, or is it more of manufacturer to manufacturer variation?
Jeff

Tightlines667

Quote from: Tightlines666 on May 23, 2016, 04:34:07 AM
I never grow tired of those pictures Lee.  Love the one of the wahoo stacked like cord wood in the snow.  Reminds me of growing up.

I grew up a troller, but a good fishermen should have plenty of tools, and techniques in his arsenal.  Every kind of fishing requires some degree of flexibility if you want to stay productive.  

Then again sometimes you have to stick with what you know works until it produces results.  

To me fighting technique requires smoothness, and using the tools to your best advantage.   IMHO, a proficient standup angler with properly match/fitted gear has better reaction, smoother movements, and can maintain a mechanical advantage over the fish.  

However, shotgun or rail rod needs to be built differently, in order to perform the actions needed.  Hard to argue against the fact that it requires no energy to hold a rod that is still mounted in a shotgun holder, and the fact that rail fishing conserves angler energy.  Using the boat to control a fish can in many cases actually be more important then the anglers role in some instances.  In others, it is not an option.

I think there is a time and a place to try difrerent methods.

Just a few thoughts..

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Bingo!  If I could not adapt I would have wasted the trip due to the broken hand.  One of my 60# rods is set up for iron and I want to try it on BFT.  I would rather head straight down and target YT but it will be what it is.

One tip, do not fish with a broken hand, it never healed right.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

When I saw he could drink with it the night it happened I knew he would fish with it. Sorry it didn't heal right brother, but I'm glad we had you on the trip. By the way, I got the reel, it is PERFECT. I'll do photos and all that next month when life on the boat slow's down. Hoping to hook up to a GT with it on North Shore in June.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on May 23, 2016, 06:26:43 AM
When I saw he could drink with it the night it happened I knew he would fish with it. Sorry it didn't heal right brother, but I'm glad we had you on the trip. By the way, I got the reel, it is PERFECT. I'll do photos and all that next month when life on the boat slow's down. Hoping to hook up to a GT with it on North Shore in June.
Ron

I'm glad the old reel is going to get used again, I don't think the person that gave it to me ever had it near saltwater.

Mark Twain