how to shift penn 80 stw

Started by SumthinFishy, June 21, 2016, 10:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SumthinFishy

sorry i even have to ask his ? but am having difficulty getting this 80 stw to release from low gear back into high.
it goes into low gear with press of button and holds it, but i just cant figure out how to release it to go back into high gear.
i have tried holding button and pulling handle, but it doesnt move. i thought that is how these models shifted back into high.
and help is much appreciated. thanks
* i did notice on the towel i was rebuilding this on, it looks like the 2 small plunger pins might have come out of the gear stud on re-assmbly, would that give me the issues im having ? what is their specific function. Many Thanks  ???

Tightlines667

Depress the button, and move the entire handle assembly/drive shaft outwards until it engages.  

The button is a springer pawl, that when depressed, allows two pins to retract into the drive shaft.  They ride in one of two sets of grooves in a bushing housed between the drive shaft bearings.  The low speed gear also retracts into the high speed main gear as the assembly is moved outwards.  A simple design really.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

SumthinFishy

sounds like i need to dis-assemble and check to see if the pins came out. thanks

SumthinFishy

*Update - Figured out the problem, Turns out there was a full spring smashed like a washer inside the gear stud that my original poking thru the stud didnt clear out, it was packed tight and right up against the flange inside the stud so when i poked it from the backside it didnt push it out. once i got the washer like spring out and cleaned the stud recess and re-assmbled, lo and behold, the plunger spring wasnt getting smashed and the plunger pins were able to move in, allowing the reel to shift properly. the old bit of spring was keeping the plunger from moving far enough in to allow the plunger pins to slide in.
thanks for all the help guys and hope this helps someone else.