Hopefully the ultimate kayak reel

Started by sparky_mike, May 03, 2016, 02:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky_mike

OK I'm ordering parts for hopefully a jigmaster that turns out to be the perfect reel for kayaks. Any advice on the setup would be appreciated.  Thinking about a tib frame, ss gears and sleeve, and 5+1 drag. What I'm unsure about is accurate side plates as this reel will get very wet very often and I've heard that they have corrosion issues. Again any advice would be great as I want the ultimate kayak "handle all" reel

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

vilters

if you are planning on beach launching and fishing the ocean, you need gear that is somewhat dunk proof. I see guys flip all the time trying to get out past the surf here. a jigmaster is good, as it has spool bushings instead of bearings. you can use Tom's plates with bushings and an aftermarket frame, but aluminum parts are prone to corrosion, so factory components or graphite/stainless upgrades are best. a newell is a good choice, as it has only 2 bearings which are easily serviced/changed, and if it has aluminum parts, they can be changed out to graphite or stainless. the rest is graphite and stainless steel. the jigmaster and newells are also very simple for frequent maintenance/repairs. if you are not likely to overturn the kayak, or are fishing in fresh water, its not so critical.

oc1

I would go in the other direction and use a stock modern reel made for saltwater use.  It will be lighter, more compact, less expensive and have fewer parts subject to corrosion.  Unless you're marlin fishing or something, a jigmaster is a big reel for a kayak and you may never need that much line capacity if using braid.  40# braid can take a kayak on a sleigh ride (or capsize it) so when would you need 750 yards of line.
-steve

johndtuttle

Fish a 501 with straight 20 or 30 # mono.

Nothing else will hold up better and hold up to repeated services....I am curious about the new Penn Warfare though....might be worth a look.

If fishing braid, then yea, you might even be better off with a well sealed spinner like a Spheros. You won't need a very large reel.

Yogi_fish808

Whichever reel you pick make sure you do a pre-service with marine grease brushed protecting all the internals and cals on the drag stack. If corrosion is a major worry then a graphite body and no AR bearing would be a good idea like a shimano tld star or speedmaster.

Rancanfish

Quote from: oc1 on May 03, 2016, 07:14:46 PM
I would go in the other direction and use a stock modern reel made for saltwater use.  It will be lighter, more compact, less expensive and have fewer parts subject to corrosion.  Unless you're marlin fishing or something, a jigmaster is a big reel for a kayak and you may never need that much line capacity if using braid.  40# braid can take a kayak on a sleigh ride (or capsize it) so when would you need 750 yards of line.
-steve

You can't go wrong with this.  Proper prep job on it and then use the quick take apart feature and gently wash it out when back home.  I still have my first ever Jigmaster and Squidder, probably because of this one feature.  I would never yak an Accurate or Tib reel.....well maybe.   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

sparky_mike

Thanks for the input guys. As it is I've already got the narrow tib frame and spool, so I think I'm going to add this to to the ss parts you guys sell and 5+1 drag and then go for some kings, tarpon, and hopefully a sailfish or two. As far as new reels I have had plenty and still have a few but I love classics

Rancanfish

You are definitely at the right site then Sparky.  Stick around and show us the pics when you get it built.

In answer to your original question though..... I'm with you on the frame and all the upgrades, (I do the same), but I might hold off on the side plates. a bit heavier and you lose the easy clean out feature.

But if you decide to go for it, it's your reel, have fun!   8)

Almost everyone here carries a tank when a bazooka would be fine.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

sparky_mike

Looks like 2 builds instead of one. I won both auctions I was bidding on: 1 accurate narrow full conversion for $100, and another with a narrow tib frame for $40. Can't beat those for starting points but the full conversion might not make it on the kayak