Not New to Cleaning Reels but New to the Business.

Started by Blacklabelsociety, November 23, 2015, 06:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

As Alan said, we have been talking about this, and have been for some time.  I don't have a clear direction either.  I know I spend a lot of time working on reels.  One satisfaction is that I don't see the same reels for service for a few years.  This is not a profitable venture...but a rewarding one.

I wish each and everyone of you that are making a living on servicing reels the best of luck.  It's a hard business with low profits, but great rewards especially when you see kids fishing with the gear that you just serviced.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 24, 2015, 04:58:40 PM
........ This is not a profitable venture...but a rewarding one.
..  It's a hard business with low profits, but great rewards especially when you see kids fishing with the gear that you just serviced.

few months ago, there were 5 guys fishing on a big Panga (me included), all of them have reels were fixed and serviced by me, 4 outta 5 were fishing their reels for the 1st time after I fixed them and just the Captain was using a reel I fixed/upgraded few weeks before.

all of my friends and Captin/guide were happy of how good and smooth the reels felt they felt like when they were new from the box, all reels caught plenty of fish that day and the cherry on the top of the cake was that the fishing trip was free for me as "thanks from the Captain" even tho he paid for the reel repair service, but he said no one locally have serviced the reels like that before.

Dannm.. I didnt knew if I were more happy for the free trip or for the kind words from them, all of them paid the service and keep recommending me to their friends, I still havent have the need to advertise my work to keep me busy on my late nights.

Your totally right on your comment Ryan, not a profitable adventure but have been rewarding me with new friends (locals and cyber friends) and spare money to upgrade my personal reel arsenal.
The Baja Guy

Cor

I have a bit of a finance and economic background and find this a very interesting topic.   It seems that my opinion that you can make money from tackle manufacture and  repair in the US is not correct either.

Here only those who retail stuff make some money (by and large).

South Africa is a poor country and particularly now with a very weak exchange rate it is hardly possible to obtain any spares for reels other then importing them directly at prices most can't or don't want to afford.   I currently need to buy 5 bearings priced at roughly  $45 from Boca.   This equates to 2 -3 days wages for a labourer here to put it in to perspective.    The market won't pay it and bear in mind most reels I own cost less then $45 (at current exchange rates) to purchase.   I have considered buying up many old reels for spares.

I have been servicing reels and doing repair jobs on rods for friends for a number of years but don't charge for it, other then any direct cost.    My rationale has been that it does not make money in any event and if I do charge, then I get pressure to do it within a time frame and with beautiful finishes,  whereas now I do it as a favour so they take it on my terms or leave it.    However I find I have to start charging for my overheads otherwise Ill go down the drain eventually.

Fishing is my hobby, I can no longer fish nearly every day, so as a retired person doing stuff for friends keeps me out of mischief.

Like Allan mentioned, reels are no longer made to be repaired like most things.   I don't think Shimano wants to keep spares and much rather leaves it to the after market to do.   Can't really blame them from a business perspective as the number of different reel models on the market now must make it a nightmare to keep a spares depot running profitably.

It's like the 3 Tranx reels I bought the past 2 year, I said to friends, they are like mobile phones, made to last 2 or 3 years then throw away.    I could never do that, did not grow up with that sentiment and besides they are damned expensive and actually serve me well.

See picture of reels delivered for servicing by good friend! ???

So yes, I will in future charge guys a set price to cover my costs and regard the rest as "my hobby"
Cornelis

Tiddlerbasher

Welcome - You have come to the probably the most knowledgeable bunch of guys that you will almost never meet :(
Family - yes
Friends - yes
The physical distance between us is crossed with a simple message or enquiry or answer.

If you become a millionaire, out of reel work, we would all like to know the secret ;D
Love what your doing but charge a rate to give a small return.

Save time by being organised (ask Fred about that one ;))
One simple thing I do is to use an ultrasonic bath for cleaning several reels at a time - saves me lots of time.
Ask Alan about his bearing packer - it's very cool ;)