TLDs missing sideplate decal

Started by exp2000, February 07, 2016, 11:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

I often see TLDs come in with the sideplate decal missing, exposing the end of the spindle.

I was wondering what solutions you may have come up with to remedy this?

You cannot buy the decals from Shimano.
~

RowdyW

A dab of silicone should do it on a clean surface.

Rothmar2

When I did my TLD 5 double dog, I used epoxy mixed with graphite powder to glue the extra dog post in.
You could try damming up the shaft slot with plasticine, skim it back with a screwdriver from the outside to make a recess deep enough without encroaching on the shaft, mix up epoxy and powder and fill, carefully add your mix to get it nice and flush with the outside of the side plate so you don't have to fair it back.
After its all cured, clean out the plasticine from the shaft slot. Just make sure to scuff around the bond surface with a bit of 100 grit sandpaper before you start. The epoxy graphite mix sets pretty strong, and while not black, is a very dark grey, and would be barely noticeable.
My 2c's.

josa1

I fixed my $20.00 swap meet jewel by cutting a piece of aluminum from a Pepsi can in the shape of the decal, roughing it up a little with sandpaper, painting it with flat black (Perfect Match!) paint and sticking it in place with contact cement.  I'm not that happy with how the paint adheres to the aluminum, I should either use better paint or maybe do a little more prep on the aluminum.

Looks good though, and I think it certainly protects the reel as good as the decal does.

josa1

josa1

Thought I would add a picture of the Pepsi can aluminum repair.  You can see where I bumped the decal on something and scratched the paint.  I'm sure most of you could do a better job than I did.

josa1

exp2000

Quote from: josa1 on February 08, 2016, 05:43:35 PM
Thought I would add a picture of the Pepsi can aluminum repair.  You can see where I bumped the decal on something and scratched the paint.  I'm sure most of you could do a better job than I did.

josa1

Thank for that. Reckon I will try this. Maybe have a Pepsi logo on the side :)
~

ohfishalee

I took a piece of flash material that I use for my lures with the adhesive backing and cut out the shape and glued in place. 3 years later it is still in place. I did clean out the space before adhesion. Wil post a pic later.

exp2000

Quote from: ohfishalee on February 10, 2016, 02:14:37 AM
I took a piece of flash material that I use for my lures with the adhesive backing and cut out the shape and glued in place. 3 years later it is still in place. I did clean out the space before adhesion. Wil post a pic later.

Sounds like the best idea so far. Thanks.

ohfishalee

Here is a pic. My cut could have been more accurate but no water intrusion problems so far. Just make sure the adhesive is placed on the perimeter especially.

FatTuna

That flash material looks pretty good.

Where did you buy the flash material? I need some to try this on a TLD 25. Also, I have some bottom jigs to dress up.

I bought some stuff on Ebay but it was pretty bad. I didn't stick at all. Was super thin and left creases. Places like mudhole Jan's netcraft sell it but it's kind of pricey for tape.

publius

Josa, great minds think alike. I had come up with this idea for my Beastmaster that is missing the logo/plate a couple weeks ago. By the end of next week it should be a Budweiser reel.

erikpowell

I cut up an old credit card...then a couple dabs of 5min epoxy
my last TLD20 fixed says VISA on the left side...perfect fit  ;D

When the stickers fall off the pre-program dial, I simply replace the dial... a $3 fix.