Your most challenging reel rebuild/repair

Started by amoebasurgeon, May 28, 2016, 11:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

I bought a Jigmaster that would not go into gear without instant grind to a stop of everything.

Someone swapped in the wrong pinion gear and the hole on the bottom wasn't big enough, so crunch........

Pretty quick fix.   :D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Lunker Larry

Can't think of one in particular but there were a few where I kept telling myself that I know I'm smarter than this inanimate object  :D
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

newport

Shimano baitrunner. I gave up on it. Though it did become quite handy for parts, since a lot of other shimano reels share the same materials, for instance: shims, bearings, CF washers.

Jon_Kol

Hmm so far I've been lucky, but a few reels do come to mind. A Shimano Calcutta 400B which had laid on a river bed for two months, I had to remove eeeevery single part and clean them one by one because of the sand and the silt. I think it was around 102 or 103 parts? The drag washers were brittle as crisps, they were replaced with Carbontex. I spent some time on that reel, but it was worth it when the owner replied that "the reel has never felt so good". :) At a point I was wishing I had four hands, but that was due to two springs being set up to pull in each direction, and with no screw to hold the entire part + springs in place, it sure took its toll on my fingers holding it all in place.

Also the Okuma Makaira spool system really had me thinking "don't drop anything!", so many washers had to be removed in order to get the spool bearings out.

So far it's been a Stella 5000 SW HG which haunts me, I replaced many of the internal parts and yet there is a slight grinding sound and feeling to it. I still hope to have a closer look at that reel one day..

boon

Just finished up a couple of Shimano Thunnus Baitrunners... a 6000 and a 4000, which use somewhat different mechanisms in the gearbox.

The 4000 was pretty hard work but the 6000.... phew... different kettle of fish, it was horrendous  :D

thorhammer

Quote from: thorhammer on June 02, 2016, 03:48:10 PM
I'm ashamed to say, but I have a Jiggy sideplate I have to send to Sal though I have built a couple dozen. Can't keep bridge from binding eccentric jack on this coffee can special.

And AR on a Slosh 30.

I hate coiled bail springs on spinners in general. PITA to reseat bail arm.

Wrong pinion!!! Same as further down in this thread!!! Gotta start wearing my glasses!!!!

ez2cdave

Quote from: newport on June 03, 2016, 04:23:46 AM
Shimano baitrunner. I gave up on it. Though it did become quite handy for parts, since a lot of other shimano reels share the same materials, for instance: shims, bearings, CF washers.

I second the SHIMANO BAITRUNNER . . . That is the most fiendish contraption, ever designed for fishing !!!

Tight Lines !