Penn GS 555

Started by Bill B, June 02, 2016, 04:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Just picked up a GS 555, graphite frame, alum spool, three bearings, 5.3:1 ratio, eared cf drags and an advertised 12 lbs max drags....it looks like a really capable reel for yellowtail, albacore, and schoolie tunas...anyone have an opinion/experience with this.....thinking it would be a great 40 lb or more mono reel....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

MarkT

I had one that I put 4.25:1 gears in and had loaded with 40# mono. I sold it because it was too wide for me. Both my 545 and 535 have 5.3:1 gears. My 525 and 525 mag has the stock 6:1 gears.  I did replace the handles with ones from Daiwa SL reels. The 525 mag has a Torque handle. All are the original versions with non-eared drags.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

cbar45

I owned a few.

The frames can flex and contact the spool if routinely fished close to max drag.

Other than that they were ok.

thorhammer

Love'em, my whole kingfishing stand is 555 and 545's, and we've  caught sharks to 100lbs on them that would eat our pogies. I use 535's, 525's and 525 Mag (one of my top couple favorite reels, any kind) for surf fishing. Carbon drags stock. Didn't service them the first 15 years I owned them, just a drop of oil in bearings a couple times and kept clean. No issues.

Bill B

Thanks for the comments guys....I think I will spool it with 40lb mono, and switch top shots to match what Im fishing for.  I looks like a fishing machine and more capable than the size would suggest...Bill

thorhammer

double dawged, too....

Bill B

TH...I was looking at that....was it as easy as it seems?

thorhammer

stock. they were ahead of their time in 1995. 20 years and I cant find a reason to upgrade to newer stuff in this niche. I just don't think anyone has improved upon them at the price point for the application. My .02