From Black to Red, then to Blue

Started by Maxed Out, June 05, 2016, 05:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

For those who aren't aware, I like trying crazy stuff and always looking for something a little different. Here is the latest from my frankenstien laboratory

I took a black eva knob from an Alan C eva 50 and put several coats of flexible rubber spray paint.... Now I have a red eva knob on cortez Jiggy and 4/0, and rubber paint is holding very nice. Next will be sea trials.  ;D ;D

Scroll down to see blue knob

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

David Hall

Sure looks good, let us know how it holds up under use.

Dominick

Yep if it holds up I"ll do the same.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

That looks great ted, if it stays, I'm in.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Really? Naw, we weren't aware......:)

BTW are the clamp / bar kits all silver or are you having some red done?  I can't recall...

Maxed Out

Quote from: thorhammer on June 06, 2016, 01:27:38 AM
Really? Naw, we weren't aware......:)

BTW are the clamp / bar kits all silver or are you having some red done?  I can't recall...

A few sets will be just polished and the rest are going to anodizing. Red will likely be the color on this first run of anodized bars and clamps.

Ted

Maxed Out

Quote from: Dominick on June 05, 2016, 11:57:00 PM
Yep if it holds up I"ll do the same.  Dominick

I am pretty certain this rubber coating will stay put on the eva knob. So far so good.

Ted

steelfish

really good idea.

but isnt the plasti-dip kind of easy to tear, normally the handle knob is the first thing to contac the boat, walls, etc.

I like it, I might do the same to my 4/0 now that it will have a red tiburon frame
The Baja Guy

Maxed Out

Quote from: steelfish on June 06, 2016, 04:46:08 PM
really good idea.

but isnt the plasti-dip kind of easy to tear, normally the handle knob is the first thing to contac the boat, walls, etc.

I like it, I might do the same to my 4/0 now that it will have a red tiburon frame

I thought same thing, but the pourous eva knob let the rubber paint soak right in on first 2 coats, so peeling off will not be an issue. The rubber coating is very sturdy and anything that would gouge or scratch the rubber coating, would likely gouge or scratch a normal eva knob without any coating.

I am more than happy with the results and will be trying additional colors in the near future.

Ted

steelfish

Quote from: Maxed Out on June 06, 2016, 05:10:52 PM
Quote from: steelfish on June 06, 2016, 04:46:08 PM
really good idea.

I thought same thing, but the pourous eva knob let the rubber paint soak right in on first 2 coats, so peeling off will not be an issue. The rubber coating is very sturdy and anything that would gouge or scratch the rubber coating, would likely gouge or scratch a normal eva knob without any coating.

I am more than happy with the results and will be trying additional colors in the near future.

Ted

cool, thanks, for the price of the paint can it worth the try.

The Baja Guy

vilters

cool idea, looks great. got me wondering if you couldn't do the same on eva/hypalon rod handles... also like Adam's stars and handle arms on your reels, just ordered some for myself.

sdlehr

Ted, that's a great idea, and I've ordered myself a can of red to do the same that you did, but I've played with Plasti Dip before - and you should use it up in a few weeks because it dries out even with the plastic top on once the original seal is broken. I put my last can up on the shelf and went back to it a few months later and it was all dried out.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

PacRat

This may also have a side benefit in that it may help keep squid slime from penetrating into the EVA. I'd also like to hear how it works out on rod handles as I have had a few get skanky in the garage just from heat and old age. I usually just shrink wrap them but this might be a good solution as well.
Mike

Maxed Out

Blaze blue is a hair darker than Tom's blue, but it's good enough for me.  ;) ;)

Ted

David Hall

Looks good though and has to have a great feel.