Rods built from repurposed stuff

Started by thorhammer, January 16, 2017, 04:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

just cant have enough 50 lb sticks in NC, especially with Cortez 4/0's breeding like rabbits in my shop. A few weeks back I organized all my components including  stripping a bunch of broken rods, most just given to me. I ended up, with a supplemental new guide here or there, with a dozen or sets of guides. All cleaned, lubed if roller, and bagged into sets. Then came handles, same thing, I had a bunch of orphan EVA for whatever reason, some slick butts from broken rods, couple of Aftco seats, etc. Years ago I bought a stock of glas 20-40 and 30-60 closeout blanks for a song which have mostly been sitting. This first rod was the perfect opportunity- they fit directly down into some of the complete handle assemblies. Sprayed to color,  coat of CP Extra, wrapped with all repurposed guides. This color scheme was the original Thorhammer wraps for a lot of rods I have or did, and still works. I'm in process of wrapping the whole batch. Doing this is a lot more work than using new stuff, but a lot cheaper and I hate to see good stuff get wasted. I think I have $28 in this whole rod, including new fore grip, Aftco tip, blank, thread and epoxy. I think the black 4/0 will live there for now but the broadbill kit looked pretty good too.

ReelFishingProblems

It seems like you need some warm weather to get you out of the house.

It looks great though

thorhammer

Indeed. Got a few more nice bits coming to dress up those plates you sent me.

Bill B

Great job brother, I'd rather repurpose old stuff than buy new.  Its a shame when components are trashed, just because new is easier....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!