Not a Reel Tool - But Useful to Many of Us

Started by Rockfish1, September 16, 2016, 06:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockfish1

This is off topic for reels, but hopefully Alan will find it useful enough to leave here.

Hey, most of us have lawnmowers, right?  If you sharpen your own blades - getting them balanced well can be an issue so I thought I'd post this link to making your own VERY good blade balancer.  Let's face it - those funky balancing cones from the hardware store are better than nothing, but leave a lot to be desired......this thing works GREAT.

I modified the design a bit by adding a washer behind the bearing that's just a bit larger outside diameter than the bearing itself - to keep the blade on the bearing easier. I also don't tighten the whole thing up too much so that the bearing is as free spinning as possible

These larger bearings usually come with seals and are packed with grease.  Removing the seals and degreasing followed by a hit of most any reel oil makes the bearing spin quite freely so you can get a really good balance job. 

Amazing how much getting the blades balanced right can smooth out vibration in a multi-blade mower deck - not to mention improving spindle life.

You can find an industrial bearing supplier on Google in most metro areas and pick up something that FITS the hole in your blades.

http://www.lawnforums.com/showthread.php?5443-Homemade-Blade-Balancer

Cheers,
Hal