SERVICING — ABU Ambassadeur 7000

Started by LLCC, June 25, 2016, 11:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LLCC

This reel is what I call a piece of machinery that simply works! It is simple by today's standards, but it had continued to work even today, pulling in Sailfish from Rompin and Snappers from Mapur and Linggi. Here's the parts, stripped down, drying off after a bath in Simple Green followed by another in warm soapy water.

The full step-by-step tutorial with photos can be found here:
https://gaspinggurami.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/servicing-abu-ambassadeur-7000/
Lawrence Lee

Alto Mare

Lawrence, thanks for putting these awesome tutorials up, we don't see many as we used to anymore and I think we should.
excellent job, along with some nice detailed pics.
I do have one question, I have those smoothies, most are not crazy about them, but I never had any issues using them, I actually like them.
The specs on those is to use them dry, but I've noticed you grease yours. Do you feel greased is the way to go? Mine are dry.
Thanks!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

LLCC

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 25, 2016, 01:12:10 PM
Lawrence, thanks for putting these awesome tutorials up, we don't see many as we used to anymore and I think we should.
excellent job, along with some nice detailed pics.
I do have one question, I have those smoothies, most are not crazy about them, but I never had any issues using them, I actually like them.
The specs on those is to use them dry, but I've noticed you grease yours. Do you feel greased is the way to go? Mine are dry.
Thanks!

Sal
Thanks Sal  ;D ;D ;D

Japan has made a lot of very very nice, over-engineered, low profile baitcasters, and I admit I do chase after them.

But it's still the old school Ambassadeurs that I will come home to at the end of the day.

I used the smoothies dry in the past. However, when water or oil gets into the drag stack, they tend to make squeaky noises, or vibrate like the ABS on a car had gone off (which means the drag is jerky but at a very high frequency). I find that by adding a thin coat of grease, these problems go away, and I don't lose too much friction.

So I've since coated them with a light coat of Cal's Grease.

Best,

LL
Lawrence Lee

Alto Mare

Thanks Lawrence!
Yes, as you've probably noticed, I enjoy old school as well ;D.

Keep these coming!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.