Electric reels experiences????

Started by gstours, July 03, 2016, 04:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

I am mildly thinking if getting a used one and trying it for bottomfishing and fun.... As a expensive boy toy. ;)
  My questions need some experienced opinions and facts to support my increasing interest.  I guess they are all levelwind and does that cause problems in the line getting out of sync????
  Are more speeds generally useful?? ???
  Can you assist the drag with the cranking arm,  or does it over ride the drag with a different setting.
Are they proble matic with water intrusion and generally reliable?  to some degree??
  What models have you used and which ones should shy away from?  As i,m talking used and wan t to spend only a 2-300$ limit.

Thanks for any info, I do realize i,m in trouble the first time i take it apart! :'(

akfish

Some of the charter operators up here use electric reels, and the only ones I have heard good things about are the Daiwa Tanacom Bull reels. They are level wind and allow you to crank in manually if you want. The reels themselves are not complex but whether you'd want to deal with the electrics is your call. You will find it hard getting even a used one for $300.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Rothmar2

G'day Gary, here's a thread about my experiences with the Banax Kaigens

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9027.0

As Akfish has said, you'll be hard pressed to find a used one for $300, that won't fail first time you use it.
It all depends on what water depths and how large a fish you are targeting. They are a great tool, but the "entry" level electrics are only just up to the task, and you must be very vigilant with the level wind/line synchronisation. Don't skimp on the battery size, 100AH minimum. The circuitry burn out in the first part of the above thread, as I have discovered, can be put down to using too small a battery. If the battery starts to run flat, and the voltage drops, the current draw will begin to increase. I have seen a few more drive circuit failures since I've first posted the above.
I was actually going to re-attempt the level wind piece again this trip away, but ran out of time. Maybe next swing.....

handi2

I have and use 3 Daiwa Tanacom Bull's and 1 Tanacom 750. The 750 is plenty strong. They are all expensive with the Bull Tanacom 1000 coming in at 599.

I've worked on quite a few too. Mostly replacing drags and 1 motor. I did have a 750 come in with the main shaft broken into. They look SS but they are brass. You have to take the whole reel apart to get to the E clip on the back of the main shaft.

The level wind system is very strong in these reels.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Maxed Out

Gary, I have a tanacom bull 1000 that has been used twice for a total of about 5 hours. I would trade you my tanacom 1000 for a day of halibut fishing with you in your secret spot. 8)

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

xaf

I have a Daiwa Tanacom 1000 that I use quite a bit.  I believe the Tanacom 1000 is a newer and Americanized version of the Tanacom Bull 1000. The Tanacom 1000 sells for about $599 new.  If the Tanacom Bull is still available I believe it was around $1000.  To get an electric reel for around $300 you would have to find a good deal.  My buddy had one that only used 3 or 4 times before he decided he didn't like deep dropping.  Sold it at the end of his last trip for $250 including about a $100 worth of 65 lb braid on the reel. The only other option in that price range might be to find an Electramate but you would have to have a reel to mount it on.  

To your questions:

The reels I am familiar with have a level wind.  Which I think is a good feature when reeling in hundreds to over a thousand feet of line. The only problem I have had with the line being "out of sync" was after breaking off a mono top shot and cutting off several feet of the braid that was scuffed up.  I re-threaded the braid back through the level wind without thinking about the "sync" issue.  All I had to do was take the line back out of the level wind and manually crank the reel until the level wind was in sync with the line coming off the reel then re-thread the line through the level wind.

I have only used the Tanacom which is a variable speed.  When bringing up fish I use a slower speed then when retrieving an empty rig.  I have ripped the hook out of the fish's mouth using the faster speed.  The variable speed is definitely worthwhile.  I think there are some reels out there now that have different gearing the same as a manual 2 speed reel.  This would probably be a good feature if you hooked into an exceptionally large fish.  I don't know what the cost vs. the benefit is though.

With the Tanacom you can hand crank the line any time you want to.  It has a star type drag so where ever your drag is set it is the same for manually cranking or using the motor.

Have not had any problems with water intrusion.  I have used mine enough that I would say they are fairly reliable.  The only precaution to take is to keep the electrical connection lubed with a good electrical grease to keep water from entering the cord and corroding it.  If there is a weak point on the Tanacom it is the cord and location of the connector.  Because of the connector's location the cord tends to get bent back and forth, eventually breaking the wires in the cord.  Most guys I fish with carry an extra cord.

Hope this helps.     

day0ne

As I understand it, a Tanacom 1000 has the insides of the Bull, just lacking any fancy stuff. Before I went with one of those noisy Electramates, I'd take a look at a Fish Winch. Very quiet and strong. I have one on a Sealine 400 and mostly love it. It's a little unbalanced but since I fish it on a bent butt in a rod holder, it doesn't matter. Best of all, it's only $299 and can fit 191 different reels.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Dominick

Quote from: Maxed Out on July 04, 2016, 04:15:24 AM
Gary, I have a tanacom bull 1000 that has been used twice for a total of about 5 hours. I would trade you my tanacom 1000 for a day of halibut fishing with you in your secret spot. 8)

Ted
Gary now that's a deal.  But Ted meant to say Dominick and me.   ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Thanks for the info and personal experiences, this site Alan T has is the best i,ve seen.  We all benefit,  ;D
   I,m goinna keep thinking about an Electric, but I,m not in a hurry,  I,m too busy this year, but think it will be a thing to do this winter as things slow down ,  Maybe then I can think straight!!! ???