HELP ! Penn Torque 300

Started by Rivverrat, June 03, 2016, 02:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Will the Torque 300 do well as an 80 lb. reel ? ....Jeff

handi2

It will do it but that's some hard fishing..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

johndtuttle

The old Torque 300 is not known for its cranking power but is a very strong reel.

conchydong

The high gear ratio on the 300 with that heavy of a line will require a lot of short pumps but it can be done. What type of fishing are you going to use it for?

Rivverrat

Guess I wasn't paying attention....Just noticed the gear ratio.
Still not to big an issue for me on the right rod...Jeff

Rivverrat

Be used for river fishing/catfish.
As much money as these reels are bringing I think I will hold off.
I love trying out different reels. I may just get one of these newer black torque 30'star drags that are on ebay for a  good price right now.

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 04, 2016, 12:09:48 AM
Be used for river fishing/catfish.
As much money as these reels are bringing I think I will hold off.
I love trying out different reels. I may just get one of these newer black torque 30'star drags that are on ebay for a  good price right now.

you got me interested on your catfish fishing compadre.

you are always looking for small tank reels for your Cats, awesome.
those old gold 200 and 300 reels are a tanks, cast to the moon and strong as the Hulk, bit on the heavy side but you wont have problem with that.

for that amount of money, I dont know if you already looked the makairas reels?
8II and 10II are not that heavy and not too expensive, they have 34# drag, lower speed is 2:1, perfect to haul those river monsters

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Quote from: steelfish on June 04, 2016, 12:19:53 AM

you got me interested on your catfish fishing compadre.

you are always looking for small tank reels for your Cats, awesome.
those old gold 200 and 300 reels are a tanks, cast to the moon and strong as the Hulk, bit on the heavy side but you wont have problem with that.

for that amount of money, I dont know if you already looked the makairas reels?
8II and 10II are not that heavy and not too expensive, they have 34# drag, lower speed is 2:1, perfect to haul those river monsters

Yup, the Mak's have always been on my mind. A member here who's opinion I trust, suggested them to me a ways back. Going against his sound advice I bought an Andros 12 low speed version. I LOVE THIS REEL !!
This reel can be pushed a bit harder than say a Fathom 30 with out feeling a load while cranking the handle.

For my fishing, this reel handles 20 - 24 lbs. of drag "when needed" just fine. I have fished this reel for over a year "HARD" replacing the pinion bearing only once. My limited experience has shown this to be very unique for a reel this size.
I've settled on fishing this reel not filled to it's max, at 15 lbs. of drag going higher only when needed. The pinion bearing finally went after a period of long use & I began to push the reel hard to see what it would do. This reel was completely stripped down & everything cleaned & lubed at least every 2 weeks. It gets dunked quite frequently in the river.

The Fathom lever drag rules when  it comes to bang for buck spent, with its lightweight durability & casting. However the Andros 12 for a bit more money, with its gears, more solid frame & superior drag, is clearly,  in my mind a step above the Fathom for my fishing.... The Andros 12 is as close to a perfect reel for my every day "River Reel" needs as I have found....Jeff

Rivverrat

Thought I might add....I dont drink anymore. However when I did I had my all time favorite beer. But I always was looking to try new ones. I see reels the same way.
I'm getting very close to finishing off my stack of gear for catfish. Reels for all line class I fish. With that I still love fishing a reel I've never used. I've rarely done so & not come away with new & useful knowledge...Jeff

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 05, 2016, 05:33:32 PM
. The Andros 12 is as close to a perfect reel for my every day "River Reel" needs as I have found....Jeff

cool, thanks for the comments on the andros reel, I have always liked Okuma reels but havent had the need to sell some of my actual reels to get me an okuma yet

andros looks pretty good on the specs sheet, and now I can tell it works as promoted.

The Baja Guy