Penn 650SS - Ideas?

Started by Bryan Young, March 29, 2016, 08:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

Surprise no one mention stuff like WD40 or Blaster , had the same problem on my 650ss built, sprayed it with Blaster over night and next day  with some little tap it came off

Marc..

coastal_dan

Jeez Bryan, I had no idea these were going to give you trouble.  They were part of a lot that I bought. By they seemed to work great when I had them...I'll send your money back if you ship them to me.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Bryan Young

Dan, they are already promised. I'll get it fixed if it kills me. Lol. I just cannot believe someone would spend the time to service a reel and do such a crappy job and take someone's money.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Quote from: Marcq on March 29, 2016, 11:52:20 PM
Surprise no one mention stuff like WD40 or Blaster , had the same problem on my 650ss built, sprayed it with Blaster over night and next day  with some little tap it came off

Marc..
Thanks Mark. I think Dominick gave me some a while back.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 29, 2016, 04:37:15 PM
Quote from: foakes on March 29, 2016, 03:02:49 PM
If helpful, do have one crosswind gear left that you can have -- it is not brass, but an alloy, perhaps an aluminum alloy with a brass center sleeve pressed on.  231-650

I use a good soldering gun or butane flame with some icy vapor spray in a can.

Thanks Fred, I could sure use it, but let me check the main gear before you send it.  I want to make sure that the main gear's cross wind gear is still good.

I keep forgetting about using a soldering gun.  Thanks for the reminder.

I'll get back to you this evening.  Thank you Fred.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bob, thanks for looking. 

Hi Fred. I'll take the cross wind gear. Thank you. Please put an invoice in the package and I'll send you the money. Now that darn gear and bearing.

Bryan Young

Reel #2. My disappointment grows. 😭

Bryan Young

Fred,never mind I was looking into a bag of parts that I had gotten from Randy. No par numbers, just parts. And look what I found in a bag marked "gears" hoping it was a pinion gear.

Yeah, I can get one reel fixed

foakes

Bryan --

I have some new pinions -- but they are unmarked...

So if you could shoot me a length, and OD -- I'll check them on my new digital caliper thingy from Ted!

If it is right, I can send it out tomorrow -- N/C.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Here's the pinion.   Measurements are in inches.

Thank you Fred.

If you have a matching nut for the pinion gear, could you send one as possible. I would rather not use the previous nut. If possible.

Thank you again Fred.

Bryan

foakes

Do not have the pinion, Bryan -- Sorry, wrong sizes...

Do have some NOS rotor nuts for the top of the pinion -- I will send a couple out tomorrow morning.

38-710

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Looks like all you need is a Pinion Gear Bry.
I got ya. Its not new, but it will work to complete your restoration. ;)
You have helped me with a lot of parts for my builds. Its the least I can do.
These reels are plentiful and the parts are not that hard to find, unless you are talking a main, pinion or handle.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 30, 2016, 09:05:03 PM
Looks like all you need is a Pinion Gear Bry.
I got ya. Its not new, but it will work to complete your restoration. ;)
You have helped me with a lot of parts for my builds. Its the least I can do.
These reels are plentiful and the parts are not that hard to find, unless you are talking a main, pinion or handle.
Got the gear today Daron. Thank you very much. Now icancomplete the reels and ship it off to my sister and brother-in-law.

Bryan

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

coastal_dan

Glad to hear it worked out, I'll be taking a closer look at reels I sell in the future from lots :-\
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

ez2cdave

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 29, 2016, 09:13:14 AMIf there is anything wrong with the main. They are unobtanium.

Sometimes you can find them on eBay . . . Be careful !