Replacing Drag Washers in Vintage Reels

Started by George4741, July 05, 2016, 04:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

I have several old Penn Long Beach reels with all original parts.  I will keep them that way, including the parts that are pitted and have lost some chrome.  Will it affect the value of these reels if I replace the drag washers with HT100's?  How about replacing some of the screws?
George
viurem lliures o morirem

mo65

I see it as a reel not going to be fished has no need for newer style drag washers. Some guys replace with new "period correct" washers...and some say that makes a vintage reel worth more. As far as the screws, as long as original parts are used, I can't see that doing any harm.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Good question, George --

I see it as personal preference.

If I was going to fish the reels myself -- cf, ss, Cal's, Yamaha, and syn oil -- save the old parts in a coffee can.

If I was going to only display them -- clean up completely, leave original drags in -- no grease except a little on the gears.

In reality, there is no way to measure how much extra we may get for a reel with old original drags.

Likely nothing, since the guy restoring the old reel will want to do the work himself, as a rule.

It is like BBQ Chefs -- they respect other BBQ chefs, and compliment their finished product -- but they each always have a special recipe, better technique, and secret that they will not share.

At the end of the day, unless new in the box with all of the paper -- the small difference we may gain, or not -- will not amount to any appreciable extra $$$.

Many folks think they have the holy grail -- and that is fine -- but it will not pay off the mortgage, or send the kids through college. 

Likely our personal enjoyment and style of collecting is what counts the most.

That is not to say that some rare LB's are not worth some serious $$$ -- just that the drag washers or a shinier screw will not stop anyone from buying it -- if they want it.

Just my opinions.

And if you need some old parts, or new old drags -- let me know -- might have some.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RowdyW

I replace the washers with new CF. Just bag up the originals and store with the reel. Sometimes you or your friends might want to handle the reel then you don't have to worry if the old drags are to fragile to be cranked on & might crack or disintergrate. If you are going to sell it then you can put the originals back in. When it's sitting on a shelf it doesn't matter because you can't see the insides.   Rudy

George4741

Gentlemen, thank you for the advice.
I've decided to replace the drag washers with HT100s and save the old ones should I want to return the reels to original condition.  I will replace a screw only if it is badly damaged by a screwdriver.  If I want to fish with a Long Beach, it will be a Seagate (aka Penn 60) that is assembled from mostly new parts. 

Quote from: foakes on July 05, 2016, 05:48:29 PM

Many folks think they have the holy grail -- and that is fine -- but it will not pay off the mortgage, or send the kids through college. 

Likely our personal enjoyment and style of collecting is what counts the most.

Fred

Fred, no holy grail here.  Mine are certainly not worth hundreds of dollars.

Quote from: foakes on July 05, 2016, 05:48:29 PM

-- just that the drag washers or a shinier screw will not stop anyone from buying it -- if they want it.

Fred

This reminds me of the Penn Ocean Side that sold for $1825 the other day on eBay.  Someone definitely wanted it.
viurem lliures o morirem