112H2H-What to do?

Started by spc7669, July 04, 2016, 12:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

I would still consider installing a good handle, SS sleeve, new drag stack if needed, and a complete service with proper greases.

Then it would be ready to go -- and a spare back up to boot.

Might find a good, used handle also.

Make sure the handle is snug -- and the nut tight.

Then just fish it as needed -- these are good little reels -- may not handle a large shark -- but will catch a lot of fish very capably.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

spc7669

Thanks Fred, that's what I'm going to recommend.

steelfish

Quote from: garking84 on July 04, 2016, 01:18:01 AM
Here's a pic of mine. If I remember correctly it has all ss guts except  for the bridge.

nice handle, where did you get that handle and knob?
The Baja Guy

garking84

nice handle, where did you get that handle and knob?

Thanks, i got it from Chowder puff on ebay. He has many different colors

Ron Jones

Sharks are a lot for this reel. A fully built Blue Fin Special would probably be a good fit for medium sized sharks from a boat (I've caught 4ft makos with Mitchel 300s,) but it is hard to tell the shark that is to big to not bite your hook! If he sold that reel he could find a 113H for close to the money he got out of the 112H and then put some money into the 4/0 and be ready to roll.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

spc7669

Ron, I agree totally. The 113H could be made into a very capable medium shark reel. A 4/0 and 9/0 pair would cover a huge range of fishing.

Patrick

Three se7ens

One of the guides here recommends a reel that holds 300 yds of line and can sustain 15 lbs of drag as adequate for the sharks here.  Most you see are blacktips, lemon sharks, etc under 5-6 feet.  Its really only offshore that Ive seen bigger stuff, mainly tigers in the 6-10 ft range. 

spc7669

Shane (customer) fishes off the Georgia coast. There are a lot of sharks and some big ones. For 90% of them, the 4/0 would rock it. A 9/0 would handle most everything else. Over that reel size, unless you are land based, you're skull dragging all those 5-6 footers in, which is not much fun to me.

I actually think this the Solterra 20 I'm selling him will be a good reel for what he does. If he likes it, they can be had for a song gently used.

I hope he sells me this 3/0 if he digs the Solterra. I'll hot rod it to death just for fun. No idea what I'll do with it after, but there are some hard core catfish guys here that a tricked out 3/0 might suit just fine.

mo65

Yep...that cat crew like 3/0s and 4/0s.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

spc7669

Here's the end of the story, and it's pretty good.....

I passed along all the information here to the customer. He took your advice. Boy did he ever.

He met me close by to give me the 3/0 for a scrub. Had me pull out my iPad, and pull up the Okuma Solterra. He commenced to order two 50W's. If one is looking to move up in size and power from a 3/0, that'll do it.

spc7669

So I took the 3/0 home. Already noticed it had an aluminum spool and was very clean.

I got into it and it was super clean inside with a pristine 3 stack of carbon fiber washers. I cleaned and greased it and zipped it back up.

spc7669

I know the boss says to cover the bridge screws with your fingers, flip it, and install the bridge. I'm too clumsy. Athletic tape works better than my 10 thumbs.

Thank you all again for your help and advice.

Patrick

Ron Jones

Glad it all worked out. Have fun with that 3/0.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jigmaster501

With a limited budget, I would go on the "selling/buying website" and get a Daiwa 300h in decent shape.

Upgrade with new ht 100 drag washers and call it a day. It has a 1 piece frame, is a powerhouse reel and new drags will probably cost under 100 bucks.

The 112h is a great reel but save it for when you have the money for all the upgrades. Tib frame or half frame (less money), gear sleeve and get an old steel main gear (old steel jigmaster gear too).

a

Shellbelly

Quote from: spc7669 on July 04, 2016, 07:40:12 PMFor 90% of them, the 4/0 would rock it. A 9/0 would handle most everything else. Over that reel size, unless you are land based, you're skull dragging all those 5-6 footers in, which is not much fun to me.
Go 4/0 & 9/0 and don't look back.  Upgrade as you have the bucks to throw at
them.  Put 'em in your will cause they'll outlast you.

Skull dragging!  Yep, they play out pretty quick sometimes.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)